Lighting Technical Director
London, United Kingdom
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
With an emphasis on anatomy and form, the facial modeler will create three-dimensional CG characters to be painted, enveloped and animated by the creature development team.
They will also create shape libraries for performance capture based on FACS action units.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Creates three-dimensional creatures for use in visual effects.
• Employs specific software tools to design and build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production.
• In building creatures the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic understanding of rigging and animation.
• Create face shape sets from capture data and publish them to in-house face rigs.
• Works within the asset team, alongside Texture Artists and Lead Modeller to determine the ''look'' for an object.
• Builds the topology of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
• Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated characters and creatures, including blend shapes, clothing and shot sculpting
Key Peers or Relationships
Modelers, Art Department, Art Directors, Creature Dev. Artists, Animators, Virtual Production
• Experience in Fine Arts or equivalent with a thorough understanding of anatomy, character design and animation.
• Portfolio demonstrating traditional artistic skills including illustration, and sculptural abilities a plus.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Proven experience creating digital creatures or characters in a feature film or production Environment.
• Proven experience in creating refined FACS shapes
• Anatomical knowledge of the face.
• Requires familiarity with film and video post production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• A demonstrated desire to develop computer skills.
• Proven Zbrush, Maya, and facial development experience.
• Knowledge of UNIX is a necessity as to navigate through ILM's production pipeline.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.