London, United Kingdom
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Position Summary / Job Purpose
• Lead a specific Digital Artist group. Provide mentoring and individual training or professional guidance as needed for Digital Artists in the specific group.
• Participate in show and annual performance reviews for digital artists in the specific group.
• Provide career development guidance.
• Collaborate with department Production Manager and Director of Production Management in advising on crewing and hiring decisions to ensure the maintenance of the strongest Digital Artist group.
• Collaborate with Production Manager, producers and show supervisors in crewing assignments to ensure the portfolio of work on shows and strategic projects is accomplished efficiently and to a high standard.
• Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the individual skill sets of the Digital Artists in the specific department.
• Participate in the bidding process for new and prospective shows to provide consistent technical oversight for your Digital artist department.
• Participate in the recruitment of digital Artists. Involves reel and resume reviews, interviews and attendance of industry and school events.
• Maintain a high level of proficiency in current tools and methodologies - both proprietary and 3rd party applications available on the market. Perform 'hands on' work on shows when needed.
• Collaborate with production managers and training department to develop curriculum and documentation for digital artist group.
• Collaborate with Director of Production Technology, tech team leads, R&D and show supervisors to determine and advice on the optimum technical approach for the specific Digital Artist group both for immediate show needs and long term strategy.
• Partner with Director of Production Technology to establish and enforce standard procedures for specific Digital Artist group across all shows.
• Maintain constant communication flow with the digital artist group and act as an advocate for their needs as well as communication with them to obtain feedback and ensure that they have current information.
Key Peers or Relationships
• VFX Supervisors
• 2D Supervisors
• Head of CG
• Experience in Computer Science or Computer Graphics
• Significant post production experience including experience working as a CG Supervisor
Required Technical Skills / Competencies
• Displays exceptional developmental skills along with the talent and desire to continually restructure and enhance the production pipeline.
• Expert understanding of Linux and shell scripts and working understanding of applicable software platforms.
• A self starter with proven ability to initiate and complete new projects. Strong organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to juggle multiple projects, work with diverse personalities and work within strict deadlines.
• Excellent organization and communication skills.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.