FX Technical Director
London, United Kingdom
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Serves as “right hand” to VFX Supervisor on assigned show with regards to show leadership, methodology and crewing as well as client management, as needed. Responsible for a body of work on a show such as outsourced work, ILM Singapore, split sequences, etc. Responsible for collaborating with Producer and show leadership to deliver the show on time and on budget.
• In collaboration with VFX Supervisor and Producer, sets up show including pipeline and methodology decisions, in concert with the DPS.
• Collaborates with Producer to assign crew to show and cast crew.
• Maintains constant communication with VFX Supervisor on location to understand progress on set and changes that will affect body of work.
• May start early shot production, overseeing asset build, look development and/or effects development while principal photography is in progress.
• Responsible for leading crew when VFX Supervisors is on location. Runs dailies, gives crew direction on shots and assets, aesthetic direction and feedback.
• Serves as key creative in bid meetings.
• Develops methodology and approach to show, including how to get work completed efficiently and within show budget; making determinations about where to distribute the work (LDAC/Sing/3PP, etc)
• May cover 2nd unit or relieve VFX Supervisor on location
• Depending on expertise, may drive look of assets and/or effects.
• With input from the FX Supervisor, supervises assigned body of work, provides feedback to artists
• In collaboration with VFX Supervisor and Producer, develops and executes production plan
• On occasion and with approval from VFX Supervisor, may present VFX work to client, with guidance from the VFX Supervisor.
• On occasion, may be required to perform hands-on shot work on show
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.