Senior QA Engineer
Are you a full-stack engineer and up for a new challenge?
We're growing fast (over 50% already this year) and have important roles to fill!
We love live entertainment and bringing fans together for the best moments of their lives. Come make experiences happen with us.
Remote candidates welcomed. We have offices in many locations, including Toronto (Canada) and London (England).
Who we are
Universe is a leader in online ticketing for virtual & in-person events. We're growing fast due to innovations in virtual events and timed-entry ticketing. We solve for large complexity and load, serving some of the biggest names in live entertainment (e.g., Dua Lipa, Metallica, Garth Brooks, Meghan Thee Stallion to name a few) and operating in over 15 countries.
We were acquired by Ticketmaster in 2015 which accelerated our growth. With a global team over 30 strong, Universe operates independently with our own roadmap and modern tech stack (including React, GraphQL, TypeScript, Elixir, Ruby) and the financial backing of a Fortune 500 company. Free concert tickets are a cool perk too!
As a Senior Software Engineer at Universe, you will apply your passion for technology and live experiences as we work together to build a work-class Event Ticketing platform. In this deeply technical position, you'll work closely with your team to build reliable and scalable solutions to tough technical challenges. You'll deliver great quality code and innovative solutions while growing your skills as both a technical contributor and leader through code reviews, pairing sessions, mentorship opportunities, and both learning and teaching skills to the team.
Our clients, who include some of the world's biggest musicians and most sought-after events, rely on Universe to provide a stable, performant, and reliable platform that can scale quickly to handle unpredictable demand and large traffic and data volumes. You'll get your hands dirty writing code, architecting solutions, and contributing directly to these systems. Through continuous deployment, you'll ship frequently and have a measurable impact on our product that you can feel proud of. You'll collaborate with talented designers and product managers, using your deep technical insight to ensure we're not only building the best software but also building the right software in the best way possible.
We're looking for a Senior Developer with some experience with Rails and React who can hit the ground running contributing technically and share their expertise with the team through pairing sessions and code reviews.
Universe primarily uses Ruby on Rails to serve our application data via a combination of REST and GraphQL APIs to a variety of React front-end clients. We're constantly adapting and implementing new tools and technologies within our service-based architecture, so you'll see some Elixir, Java, and Rust sprinkled in there too!
Our primary datastores are MongoDB, Postgres, and Elastic, though we also use BigQuery. We deploy to GCP and manage our systems with Kubernetes and maintain a continuous deployment pipeline that allows us to ship quickly.
What we're looking for
• Experience working with productive software engineering teams and writing high-quality software
• A hacker's mindset with a conductor's heart, your passion for your craft pushes you to strive for elegance and efficiency while understanding the value of stability and durability
• Independence and a willingness to take ownership over hard problems
• Empathy and interest in supporting and growing your teammates and yourself via pairing, code reviews, and mentorship
• A forever student, always seeking to learn and grow with and from your peers
• A team-mindset. We play and win as a team. Confidence is great, ego is not
• Experience with Ruby on Rails and React that will enable you to hit the ground running
• Bonus: experience with any of the following technologies: Elixir, GraphQL, Mongo, Postgres, Elastic, Redis, Java, Kafka or similar
Why we love working at Universe:
• We make more fan experiences happen than any other ticketing or event company on planet earth. It's almost magical to think about
• We work as part of a global team, which provides us with rich and diverse experiences, both personally and professionally
• We build products that are used and loved by millions of users each year, who provide us with real-time product feedback so we're always focused on building for them
• We enjoy the culture and perks of a startup with the backing of a Fortune 500 company, including a dynamic and fast-paced working environment, free tickets to concerts and festivals, unlimited Amphitheatre shows across North America, extended parental leave, generous retirement saving plans, and four weeks of vacation per year
• We work with a dynamic team of empathetic individuals as we challenge each other to build the best products possible
• We collaborate with veteran engineers who encourage us to ship frequently and think outside the box, applying new technologies and techniques and leading our team to success
• We mentor ambitious junior developers who rely on our guidance and experience to help them contribute, learn, and grow as developer
• We take control of our career, shaping it with innovative contributions and take advantage of opportunities to grow both within Universe and the larger Ticketmaster family
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Ticketmaster/Universe Canada.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r18y40-3-84-132-40-42 in your application.
Live Nation Entertainment is the global leader in live entertainment and ticketing. Our world-class portfolio reaches all aspects of the live event and ticketing industry, from ground-breaking software in Ticketmaster, mix of legendary venues and restaurants in House of Blues, production leaders in Concerts, exceptional brand partnerships in Media & Sponsorship, and unparalleled team of artist managers in Artist Nation supported by diverse professionals in all facets of Corporate operations.