SENIOR DATA DEVELOPER
Location: Toronto, Ont. or anywhere in Canada
Line Manager: Engineering Manager
Contract Terms: Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
Universe is a leader in online ticketing for virtual & in-person events. We're growing fast due to innovations in virtual events and timed-entry ticketing. We solve for large complexity and load, serving some of the biggest names in live entertainment (e.g., Dua Lipa, Metallica, Garth Brooks, Meghan Thee Stallion to name a few) and operating in over 15 countries.
We were acquired by Ticketmaster in 2015 which accelerated our growth. With a global team over 30 strong, Universe operates independently with our own roadmap and modern tech stack (including Kubernetes, Docker, Flux, and more) and the financial backing of a Fortune 500 company. Free concert tickets are a cool perk too!
As a Senior Data Developer at Universe, you will apply your passion for technology and live entertainment to build a world-class ticketing platform. In this deeply technical position, you'll work closely with your team to build reliable and scalable solutions to tough technical challenges. You'll deliver great quality code and innovative solutions while growing your skills as a technical contributor through code reviews, pairing sessions, mentorship opportunities, and both learning and teaching skills in the team. We're a relatively small team which means you will play a significant and impactful role in contributing to our most important tech systems, informing our culture, and establishing and maintaining the high technical bar we've established across our product.
Our clients, who include some of the world's biggest musicians and most sought-after events, rely on Universe to provide a stable, performant, and reliable solution that can scale quickly to handle unpredictable demand and large volumes of traffic and data. You'll get your hands dirty writing code, architecting solutions, and contributing directly to these systems. Through continuous deployment, you'll ship frequently and have measurable impact on our product that you can feel proud of. You'll collaborate with talented developers, designers, and product managers, using your deep technical insight to ensure we're not only building the best software but also building the right software in the best way possible.
• Debezium for capturing changes in real-time from various databases; our primary source databases today are PostgresQL and MongoDb
• Kafka for constructing real-time data pipelines and streaming applications
• KafkaConnect for integrating data between Kafka and other systems
• Custom-built SMTs in JAVA for data transformations on source topics
• Ksqldb for real-time data transformation using a SQL-like language; we primarily use this for joining multiple streams together
• SchemaRegistry for managing the schema of data stored in Kafka, keeping track of schema versions, validating compatibility, and ensuring data deserialization
• Quarkus for developing low-latency, high-performance, stream processing applications
• Clickhouse for real-time analytics and online analytical processing
• Kubernetes as the container orchestration platform
• Strimzi operator for automating and managing Kafka on Kubernetes
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
• Designing and implementing streaming data pipelines
• Extracting data from a variety of sources, including APIs, databases, and flat files
• Transforming data using techniques such as ETL (extract, transform, load)
• Loading data into data warehouses, data lakes, and other data storage systems
• Writing documentation and maintaining version control for data pipelines
• Monitoring and maintaining data pipelines to ensure that they are running smoothly and efficiently
• Contributing to API development and writing Java code for SMTs and Quarkus services
• Contributing to data governance efforts, including data security, data privacy, and data quality
• Staying up-to-date with emerging trends and technologies in the data engineering field
• Troubleshooting infrastructure-related issues as needed
• Participating in architecture and system design discussions and offering critical feedback
• Contributing to engineering planning and reviewing pull requests
• Working to build a maintainable, scalable, and reliable data platform that prioritizes developer efficiency and happiness
• Working closely with Engineering Managers and Developers to find the best solutions for their data needs
• Continuously improving our implementation as new requirements are discovered
• Pair-programming with talented developers
Our job descriptions evolve with our business needs and priorities. In addition to the description above, your role may include additional duties, responsibilities, projects and team support as needed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (or TECHNICAL SKILLS)
• 4+ years of experience working with productive software engineering teams and writing high-quality software
• Knowledge of designing and implementing streaming data pipelines using tools and technologies such as Debezium, Kafka, KafkaConnect, Quarkus, Clickhouse, Ksqldb, and SchemaRegistry
• Effective communicator, written and oral, as this role will be working closely with people from all over the organization
• An independent, fast-learning, self-starter who takes ownership over solving hard problems
• Empathy and interest in supporting and growing your teammates and yourself via feedback, pairing, and code reviews
• Experience with any of the following technologies is a bonus: Apache Pulsar, Kubernetes, Operating data-platform's at scale
• Ability to write documentation and maintain version control for data pipelines
• Experience in monitoring and maintaining data pipelines for efficiency and smooth operation
• Familiarity with Java code development
YOU (BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS)
• Business Acumen – You understand and can apply general business concepts, using external networks to understand market situations and industry.
• Passionate – A love for your craft that pushes you to strive for elegance and quality in your work.
• Winning Teamwork – Collaborating with others in a respectful manner and openly sharing information amongst the team to assist in achieving Ticketmaster goals and objectives. Taking the time to empathize and understand where others are coming from, along with showing recognition and appreciation for the contribution of others.
• Inquisitive – A forever student, always seeking to learn and grow with and from your peers.
• Problem Solving and Innovation – Gathering appropriate perspectives and insights and seeking win-win solutions by remaining open to alternative approaches and being proactive in generating new ideas. Ability to maintain a balanced perspective and see all sides of an issue and manage problems in a timely and effective manner. A free and independent thinker, open to new ideas and concepts.
LIFE AT TICKETMASTER
We are proud to be a part of Live Nation Entertainment, the world's largest live entertainment company.
Our vision at Ticketmaster is to connect people around the world to the live events they love. As the world's largest ticket marketplace and the leading global provider of enterprise tools and services for the live entertainment business, we are uniquely positioned to successfully deliver on that vision.
We do it all with an intense passio
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d544pe-44-200-82-149-42 in your application.