Senior Data Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
Title: Director, Data Operations and Governance, Core Data Services
Who are we?
Live Nation Entertainment is the world's leading live entertainment and eCommerce company, comprised of four market leaders: Ticketmaster.com, Live Nation Concerts, Front Line Management Group and Live Nation Network. Ticketmaster.com is the global event ticketing leader and one of the world's top five eCommerce sites, with over 26 million monthly unique visitors. Live Nation Concerts produces over 20,000 shows annually for more than 2,000 artists globally. Front Line is the world's top artist management company, representing over 250 artists. These businesses power Live Nation Network, the leading provider of entertainment marketing solutions, enabling over 800 advertisers to tap into the 200 million consumers Live Nation delivers annually through its live event and digital platforms. For additional information, visit www.livenation.com/investors.
Who are you?
As part of leadership of the Core Data Services team Director of Data Operators leads that team tasked with full ownership and management of the Enterprise Data platform
We are looking for a seasoned professional who has experience owning and operating large scale systems at enterprise level, managing and growing the team and continuously improving operational metrics. In other words, running a center of excellence with stability and discipline practices as a bedrock of continuous innovation.
If you are looking for a challenge and a sense of ownership and have experience running large scale data operations, including data acquisition and ingestion via streaming, data processing, management of large scale data lake, EDW, low latency data delivery for operational reporting as well as analytical use cases - we are looking for you!
We have plenty of opportunities to make a difference for the business and for the Ops team in all aspects - from tech to processes to developing and mentoring people
Core Data Services team is at the center of Data and Analytics initiative. We are in the beginning of our journey to build and enterprise data platform capable to be a true underpinning of any data needs for the enterprise. Our mission is to make reliable data available and enable value creation by the data community of engineers, analysts and decision makers. Core Data Services team consists of Platform engineering team, Data Engineering, Data Enablement and ultimate owner and operator – Operations team.
As a leader of Operations team in Core Data Services you will work on defining and establishing operational practices in the area of cloud management, dev ops and change management, governance of data access, operations of data flows on the platform, performance, scalability, cost control and management of critical incidents.
Core Data Services is currently in process of adopting Spark as main ETL engine and realizing the value of highly functional, performant and transparent Data Lake, all this while maintaining and streamlining existing data infrastructure and doing careful migration. Team's focus is on maximizing the functionality, value and content, optimizing cost of ownership and usability of delivered data services
This is a unique opportunity to establish world class operational center of excellence in the area of data management at a company that has demands for exceptional reliability in low latency data processing at high volumes and high bursts at time of on sale for live events. Joining now at the onset of platform development also gives you a chance to provide input into architecture, help establish processes for effective cost control and governance practices.
WHAT THIS ROLE WILL DO
• Build and mentor a world class operations team for Core Data Services
• Define and implement operational best practices managing change and risk for enterprise data platform
• Manage and support production processes for large scale low latency Spark-based ETLs using Delta lake, S3, Kafka implemented in AWS
• Oversee infrastructure, cloud operations and security practices in complex AWS setup ensuring security of data access, partnering and working directly with enterprise cloud ops team and network ops team
• Effective manage infrastructure cost, including planning, implementation of cost maintenance measures, spend analysis, cost allocation and reporting
• Manage vendor relationships and partner with procurement team for proper planning of technology lifecycle
• Implement effective process monitoring and alerting, pager duty and escalation procedures, CI management protocol and continuous incident prevention process
• Provide support to data engineering in form of CI/CD tooling, discipline in environment isolation, change control, implementation of infrastructure as code
• Partner with peer leads in Core Data Services – data engineering, data enabling and platform engineering to ensure that all infrastructure and software needs are met
• Support planning and orderly transition of legacy systems to new technologies
• Devise and implement metrics to monitor and manage team's performance against set goals
• Manage technical documentation and systems providing transparency in platform functionality using live meta-data and operational dashboards
• 10+ years' previous engineering leadership experience leading global teams; at least 3 years of which should be as a group leader in a SaaS, cloud, or technology services company managing teams across multiple international time zones
• Deep understanding of cloud services and running service delivery in a cloud. Familiar with cost control and optimization, effective use of cloud services, infrastructure as a service, system control, monitoring and alerting
• Experience with technical stack which includes
• Data Lake technologies like S3, AWS Data Lake, Databricks Delta lake;
• Data warehousing tech like Snowflake, Teradata, Oracle EDW;
• Deep understanding of operationalizing ETL processes using Spark and modern streaming ETL technologies like Spark Streaming, StreamSets, Kafka Connect as well as traditional ETL tools like Informatica, SAP Data Services, Talend;
• Experience supporting and using Kafka streaming
• Ability to connect infrastructure and systems to business processes and ultimately to business value produced by the systems and instil that knowledge in the team as part of the result driven culture with specific customers in mind
• Strategic thinker with very strong focus on operational practices and service delivery
• Highly self-motivated with excellent problem-solving skills
• Experience selecting, managing, developing and motivating technically diverse teams.
• Manage multiple projects simultaneously with an appropriate sense of urgency.
• Experience building key metrics for measuring team and individual productivity
• MS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Math or equivalent experience delivering proven business results
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We also afford equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability. For this reason, Live Nation will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant consistent with its legal obligations to do so, including reasonable accommodations related to pr
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkk4zk-3-235-223-5-42 in your application.
Live Nation Entertainment is the global leader in live entertainment and ticketing. Our world-class portfolio reaches all aspects of the live event and ticketing industry, from ground-breaking software in Ticketmaster, mix of legendary venues and restaurants in House of Blues, production leaders in Concerts, exceptional brand partnerships in Media & Sponsorship, and unparalleled team of artist managers in Artist Nation supported by diverse professionals in all facets of Corporate operations.