Awesome Job: Director, Marketplace Strategy & Operations
Great Location: Chicago, IL
Employment Type: Full Time; Salary
We're fans who help fans everywhere get into the live events they love. A proud division of Live Nation Entertainment, Ticketmaster has changed the way the world connects with their favourite artists, teams, and shows, and we continue to shape innovation every day. We're not just selling tickets (though we do that better than anyone else), we're enriching lives one amazing experience at a time. And we think that's pretty amazing. If you're passionate about the magic of live entertainment like we are, and you want to work at a company dedicated to helping millions of fans experience it, we want to hear from you.
We have a 'Fan First' mindset, placing customers at the heart of everything we do. Whether working behind the scenes or engaging directly with the 'Fan' you will be part of a culture that supports and enriches the fan experience. Your work, our passion… delivering world class experiences – Fan First.
The Director will report to the VP, Category Management - Horizontals, and is responsible for owning and driving key Marketplace (B2C) initiatives that cut across all live event genres (e.g., professional sports, concerts, and theater) and both our primary and resale ticket marketplaces. These initiatives will drive hundreds of millions of dollars of ticket sales and may include growing sales of primary and resale tickets for venues and teams not contracted with Ticketmaster, commercializing new programs to expand fan selling or drive our mobile app strategy, and boosting our performance from season ticket holders. As a business owner, the Director will be responsible for driving revenue and profit goals by leading the development and execution of long- and short-term strategies and by working across all functions of the business including product, marketing, pricing, supply, distribution, operations, business development, and finance. This individual will also lead a small team responsible for conducting rigorous, fact-based analysis that result in creating and driving actionable recommendations to execution and demonstrating impactful results. The ideal candidate will be analytically driven with strong problem-solving skills, a high degree of business acumen, and the ability to work with and influence a variety of individuals.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
• Grow the business:
• Understand horizontals strategy and initiatives to help partner on development of data-driven growth plans to achieve/surpass revenue and profit targets
• Identify initiatives that offer financial value, competitive advantage, or improve scalability and drive alignment with senior leadership
• Oversee development and structuring of various business opportunities with varying levels of complexity. Drive insights and clear next steps from output.
• Communicate effectively and persuasively utilizing fact-based analysis and an understanding of organizational objectives
• Enlist support of cross-functional stakeholders (product, marketing, operations, etc.) and build strong relationships to bring key growth initiatives to market
• Develop solid understanding of the business, financial levers, and competitive landscape to anticipate adjustments to existing strategies and support growth objectives
• Create innovative, analytically based approaches to track and manage initiatives once in-market
• Lead a team:
• Build enthusiasm and inspire others cross-functionally to buy-into your vision and help execute strategies
• Manage a small team of direct reports; provide guidance/prioritization on work deliverables, facilitate ongoing conversations about career development, and foster a collaborative, transparent team culture
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (or TECHNICAL SKILLS)
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in a consulting, strategy, or comparable analytics-heavy environment. Experience in e-commerce, technology, or entertainment/media is a plus.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience leading teams directly or cross-functionally in a highly matrixed organization, influencing senior leadership, and managing multiple projects with demanding deadlines, changing requirements, and limited resources
• Bachelor's Degree in economics, finance, business, mathematics, or engineering; MBA preferred
• Assertive yet professional demeanor, persistent and willing to lead the way to meet deadlines, particularly in combination with product and tech
• Demonstrated success in verbal and written communication with senior leadership to drive and influence impactful change in the organization
• Desire to help create a fun, supportive, and productive culture, leveraging Ticketmaster's focus on sports and music
• Experience with SQL, Access or other big data software and data visualization software such as Tableau or DOMO is a plus
YOU (BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS)
• Business Driver: We work in a dynamic environment with a high degree of ambiguity. A successful candidate must be able to quickly identify problems, develop meaningful solutions, and independently drive work forward with the support of related business functions.
• Analytics Expert: The ticketing market is dynamic and complex, with hundreds of actors across thousands of events. An experienced Director will help us create value for Ticketmaster and also for content owners, resellers, and fans. You should get excited working with large data sets and be able to deftly structure analytic approaches to problem solving.
• Creative Thinker: The role is not just about managing the business within predefined bounds; it's also about thinking outside of the box and introducing novel solutions. We want someone who is constantly thinking about ''what's next'' and challenging the status quo.
• Persuasive Storyteller: You will be presenting to Ticketmaster leaders across all functions and third parties. Translating and simplifying the data into true insights that will drive business strategy and change behavior is essential.
• Influencer: You won't control all of the resources that will make your initiatives successful. We respect leaders who can work within a matrixed system and are motivated by understanding what makes others tick.
• Cross-functional Team Player: We value transparency and helping one another. Communication and collaboration across the entire organization and developing an engaged team will lead to greater individual success.
Rock Solid Reliability – I earn the trust of clients, co-workers and fans; I set clear expectations; I deliver high quality work on time and on task; I take the time to do things right
Winning Teamwork – I collaborate with others; I share information openly; I listen and take time to empathize and understand where others are coming from; I show recognition and appreciation for the contributions of others
Act with Integrity – I am proud of the way I represent myself and the company to others; I act with good intentions; I have direct, honest conversations while creating a safe work environment for open dialogue; I represent information and data accurately and completely