Summary of Position
Grindstone is currently seeking a VP, Acquisitions & Development. This role encompasses advocating for projects to acquire, develop and convert for the studio and overseeing them through completion.
• Track completed films, as well as, films at the script stage/pre-buys for potential acquisitions by various methods such as:
• Reviewing industry trades (i.e. Deadline, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, IMDBPro, etc.) on a daily basis.
• Review all email blasts from sales companies throughout the year especially leading up to and during film festivals and film markets.
• Review film market centric websites such as thefilmcatalogue.com and cinando.com for upcoming films and their corresponding sales agents.
• Attend acquisitions screenings at various agencies, film festivals or review screening links for films coming from agencies or producers.
• Attend certain film festivals and film markets, such as AFM, Toronto, SXSW, Sundance, etc.
• Regarding Animated films that Grindstone acquires:
• Negotiate Production Service Agreements and oversee all English dubbing projects for foreign language animation films that Grindstone acquires.
• Track new scripts via numerous sources such as The Black List, Ink Tip, script competitions, script pitch events, outreach amongst producers/managers/agents and other submissions.
• Meet with writers, directors, producers, etc. in order to cultivate relationships that could lead to finding new scripts for Grindstone or future business in general.
• Track material (books, articles, possible remakes, etc.) that could be good I.P. for Grindstone to cost effectively develop.
• Approve the scripts, budgets and DOODs during Inter Party Agreement closing prior to films that Grindstone co-produces.
• Work closely with directors and editors to provide detailed notes for all Director's Cuts and Producer's Cuts on Grindstone co-productions or pre-buys.
• Determine appropriate producers and/or financiers to send scripts to that Grindstone finds or develops.
• Oversee Grindstone's internship program largely dealing with script coverage.
• Work closely with the Lionsgate Green Light team in the evaluation of potential film acquisitions.
• Maintain Grindstone's Fiscal Year release schedules and update on a weekly basis to be submitted prior to Grindstone's weekly meeting and send out weekly updated release schedules to the Lionsgate sales and GL teams.
Qualifications & Skills
• Candidate must have 3-5 years of prior experience in development at a studio or production company
• Proven experience in effectively leading films from inception to release
• Ability to self-generate and procure material and talent relationships
• Strong relationships with a broad set of diverse and underrepresented storytellers (writers, directors, producers)
• Understand and effectively advocate for the value of diversity and diverse representation in film slates
• Strong existing relationships with agencies and talent
• Strong perspective on audience demands and the film landscape
• Refined understanding of concepts and packages that will meet audience demand
• Ability to maintain strictest levels of confidentiality and discretion around all activity
• Self-starter who proactively seeks ways of developing his/her/their own skills
• Must be able to direct and manage junior executives
• Must be able to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of management and talent
About the Company
Combining the STARZ premium global subscription platform with world-class motion picture and television studio operations, Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B) brings a unique and varied portfolio of entertainment to consumers around the world. Its film, television, subscription and location-based entertainment businesses are backed by a 17,000-title library and the largest collection of film and television franchises in the independent media space. A digital age company driven by its entrepreneurial culture and commitment to innovation, the Lionsgate brand is synonymous with bold, original, relatable entertainment for the audiences it serves worldwide.
Business Unit Overview
Motion Picture Group
Lionsgate's motion picture business is a consistent box office market share leader with films that have grossed more than $10 billion worldwide over the past six years. This leadership is driven by world-class talent relationships, a deep and renewable portfolio of iconic brands and franchises, and a diverse and balanced slate that is built to enhance consumer enjoyment of the theatrical experience but also has the flexibility to utilize a broad range of alternative release strategies as the opportunities to monetize films continue to expand. The creator, owner and distributor of great film brands including The Hunger Games, Twilight Saga, John Wick, Now You See Me, Knives Out, La La Land, Saw, Dirty Dancing and Monster's Ball, among many others, films released by Lionsgate and its predecessor companies have earned 129 Academy Award® nominations and 32 Oscar® wins.
In addition to its mainstream commercial releases, Lionsgate's Motion Picture Group includes specialty film distributor Roadside Attractions, an industry leader in award-winning prestige movies, Pantelion Films, the US market leader in Spanish-language releases, a top film production and distribution brand in the UK, and multiplatform distributor Grindstone Entertainment.
• Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
• Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
• 401(k) company matching
• Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw7ez2-3-236-68-118-42 in your application.