Coordinator, Content Development and Production
Universal Music Group
Santa Monica, CA
Summary of Position
The SVP, Legal Affairs will oversee all aspects of the Legal Affairs team in support of the company's development and production of scripted television programming. We are looking for a highly-skilled executive and leader with extensive experience providing legal counsel and executing complex agreements related to both development and production of television content.
• Managing legal matters through development and production
• Advising on day-to-day production related matters
• Structuring, negotiating, and drafting a variety of development and production agreements, including complex rights agreements
• Interfacing with various internal and external stakeholders, including development and production teams
• Analyzing and interpreting contracts and providing thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues across a wide range of legal areas
• Overseeing, training and developing a sizeable team of attorneys and staff
Qualifications & Skills
• Minimum 15 years of legal experience handling development and production legal matters in scripted television from a network, studio, production company, or entertainment law firm
• Proven success in leading a team, such as directing, training and developing attorneys and support staff
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines while delivering high level results
• Highly motivated and organized with keen attention to detail
• Knowledge of entertainment guild regulations
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Excellent drafting and analytical skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to clearly explain complex legal issues to various client groups
• Juris Doctor degree
• Membership with the State Bar of California
About the Company
Business Unit Overview
With the Company aligning its studio operations behind the growth of its streaming business, Starz has become one of the pre-eminent modern premium global streaming platforms. Offering subscribers more than 7.500 television episodes, including Starz original series and provocative documentaries, along with a broad catalogue of first-run movies, Starz is taking the lead in delivering relatable premium content that makes it the platform of choice among a wide spectrum of female, African-American and other historically underserved audiences. Its focused brand, premium content and freedom from legacy relationships position Starz at the forefront of the new bundles emerging throughout the media ecosystem, a compelling value proposition to complement virtually every kind of subscription platform.
Distinguished by its successful and focused content strategy, top programming, exceptional curation and speed to market, Starz has quickly scaled its platform to become one of the most widely distributed and fastest-growing OTT services in the world, with OTT subscribers making up more than half of its global subscriber base. The Starzplay International premium subscription service offers a ''best of global SVOD'' content portfolio in more than 50 countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Canada, Japan and India through a bespoke and expanding network of distribution partners. The Starzplay Arabia joint venture is one of the leading SVOD operators in the fast-growing Middle East and North Africa region. The proprietary and highly-rated Starz app, a proven hit with U.S. audiences, continues to roll out internationally.
• Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
• Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
• 401(k) company matching
• Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Combining the STARZ premium global subscription platform with world-class motion picture and television studio operations, Lionsgate brings a unique and varied portfolio of entertainment to consumers around the world. Its film, television, subscription and location-based entertainment businesses are backed by a 17,000-title library and the largest collection of film and television franchises in the independent media space.