At Ingrooves Music Group, we are committed to powering creativity in today's dynamic music marketplace by providing the best distribution, marketing, and rights management tools and services to content creators and owners. We develop state-of-the-art, cost-efficient, and scalable technology platforms. Our partners benefit from our experienced, knowledgeable people, unparalleled commitment to customer service, and thoughtful marketing solutions that drive results. We aspire to be the most transparent and solution-driven partner for all of the labels and artists we work with.
We are currently looking for a Business and Legal Affairs lawyer based in Los Angeles or New York to support our legal team, who will report to the SVP of the Business and Legal Affairs.
How you'll CREATE:
• Structure, draft and negotiate proposals and structure, draft and negotiate various music-related agreements (initial, intermediate and final versions) including, but not limited to, distribution agreements, amendments to various agreements, letters of direction, joint venture agreements, publishing agreements, and license agreements including synchronization and master use license agreements in connection with the use of masters and compositions in audiovisual works (e.g., motion pictures, television programs, video games, etc.)).
• Provide advice and coordinate strategy on general corporate transactions and commercial agreements.
• Review and analyze profit & loss and royalty statements.
• Issue and track rights disputes on a weekly basis, and coordinate resolution between retailers and clients.
• Issue Cease & Desist notices, DMCA notices.
• Track and set-up distribution, publishing, and synchronization license agreements.
• Work with the financial department to prepare profit & Loss and sales analysis.
• Provide counsel to internal Ingrooves and UMG departments and senior management on day-to-day business and legal issues and strategy.
• Advise various Ingrooves departments (e.g., Ingrooves Business Development and Ingrooves Finance Department) regarding contractual obligations and restrictions in various Ingrooves commercial agreements.
• Address concerns and propose solutions while balancing legal considerations with business objectives.
• Analyze and assess potential risks and propose recommended courses of action.
• Respond to requests for information and/or advice from other business units, including contract research and analysis.
• Obtain all necessary management approvals on key terms of commercial agreements.
• Coordinate with other UMG legal departments (digital, litigation, etc.) on agreements and legal matters.
• Assist management with corporate legal administrative matters and in determining and enforcing company policy regarding legal issues.
• Ensure dissemination of critical legal information to company employees.
• Oversee corporate compliance with contractual and legal obligations.
Bring your VIBE:
• Intellectual property, copyright expertise and music industry experience highly preferred.
• Familiarity with new technology and digital music environment preferred.
• Ability to analyze and provide strategic advice on a wide range of legal issues.
• A keen interest in music and the music industry.
• Knowledge/experience with music industry royalty accounting or financial information highly preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects required.
• +5 years relevant legal experience from a top music/entertainment private practice law firm and/or in-house role within a record company or similar legal organization.
• Strong legal background in the areas of the law applicable to the music business (distribution agreements; sync/licensing, publishing, copyright, artist contracts, trademark, licensing, etc.)
• Excellent negotiating, drafting, and communication skills
• General problem-solving skills, organization, and a focus on detail
• Strong interpersonal skills - able to communicate with all levels of management
• Self-starter with ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
• Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, ''Gift Week'', Summer Fridays
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance
• Employee Developmental Support
• Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
• Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97957-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.