Senior Manager, Product Design
Santa Monica, CA
The Disney Streaming Services (DSS) design team is a growing practice of multi-disciplinary creators and storytellers. We are passionate about building high-quality, innovative and authentic experiences that connect people with the content they love. We work where art meets science, exploring ideas by using the power of design to make the invisible visible. We believe in doing things that matter, cultivating a culture of diverse perspectives, and collaboration. We celebrate our wins, but never settle.
We are looking for a Principal Product Designer to join the centralized Design Systems team within the growing Design Operations Practice. The Design Systems team is a cross-functional team responsible for scaling design practices across the entire Product Design team by building out the best in class Design System, which includes establishing design patterns, building and maintaining components libraries and ensuring design excellence via design delivery artifacts and practices. You will design the architectural vision of our Products- Disney+, Hulu, and more!
This is an opportunity to collaborate with the very best in design, product and technology to help create and drive the product (systems) that shapes industry-leading products used by millions across the world.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Systemize design across our feature design teams, content presentation, discovery, onboarding, commerce, marketing and brand.
• Provide strategic impact to our streaming products by elevating user experiences, and delivering uniform, on-brand experiences at scale, over time
• Support and lead the development of long-term vision and quarterly goals of a multi-product Design System, specifically for mobile platforms
• Lead and steer governance efforts that will drive cross-brand design patterns and components including communications and committee reviews/crits
• Systematically convert design principles into an evolved visual language, and a refined suite of repeatable components, which can be quickly and easily adopted by the wider organization
• Curate new patterns from design team suggestions while reinforcing consistency and coherence across our design system as a gatekeeper for the official cannon
• Identify areas for improvement and help designers use our toolkit to build new features in an efficient and reusable manner. Define and standardize highly usable UI components.
• Audit the needs of our diverse product portfolio and define a product plan that unities each platform with a single identity
• Use the design system to help designers take projects from discovery to design delivery, utilizing simplified and streamlined design artifacts
• Set up and facilitate knowledge-sharing processes that promote collaboration, pairing, and training; lead interdisciplinary workshops to mine for insights, expand ideas, establish alignment, and convert outcomes into action plans
• Cultivate partnerships with engineering, brand, and research to build using a modular approach to product design and development
• Apply a broad range of techniques, including sketching, prototyping, interaction modeling, journey mapping, and user testing to explore, convey, and validate opportunities and solutions
• Relentlessly advocate for standard methodologies and define usage guidelines accordingly
• Track the effectiveness and adoption of the Design System as a tool across teams and subject areas.
WHAT TO BRING
• 10-12+ years of experience building and implementing sustainable digital products that users love – with at least 4+ years leading large-scale Design System implementation
• A portfolio that demonstrates your work and process in building out Design Systems; showcasing your process for problem-solving and interaction design, with particular attention to inclusive and accessible design and localization best practices
• A mastery of UX and UI design fundamentals across digital platforms and a deep understanding of the importance of applying qualitative and quantitative methodologies to guide and validate decisions
• Acute understanding that everything counts, including operational rigor, relationship management, workflow excellence, and attention to detail
• Ability to cultivate an environment of collaboration and partnership
• Experience connecting teams that come from both creative and technical backgrounds
• Experience creating minimum viable products, utilizing rapid prototyping and iterative design techniques
• Strong conceptual and design sense, and able to execute across a range of digital experiences
• Expert skills in Figma, Sketch, Abstract, Zeplin
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Bachelor's degree in design or related field
• Experience designing at consumer-focused tech or media companies
• Been recognized in the Design community as a leader or otherwise awarded
• Experience designing for multiple platforms, particularly connected devices
• Proficiency with prototyping (Frame.io, Proto.io) software
• Proficiency in HTML/CSS a plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d88o3q-3-235-191-87-42 in your application.