Test Editor (Consumer Tech and Home Goods)
Hearst Magazines' Enthusiast Group is looking for a gear-and tech-obsessed product journalist to join our Test Team and help elevate our coverage of consumer electronics, gadgets, gaming, and home goods. Working primarily on Popular Mechanics, this role is responsible for discovering, evaluating, testing, and recommending products that help our readers make smarter purchasing decisions.
You will undertake quantitative testing of products in the PopMech Test Zone and perform qualitative testing in the real world. The position requires you to use data insights, product research, industry contacts, and enthusiasm for consumer tech and related categories to produce high-quality, engaging, fun-to-read reviews. Our product journalism aims to inspire trust in our readers; you will balance creating rigorously tested reviews with authoritative rapid recommendations, product news, print packages, and roundups on tight deadlines.
The ideal candidate will have proven expertise in one of the primary product categories and a desire to share their passion with PopMech's 15 million monthly readers. You will be comfortable with digital-publishing tools, search optimization, and using data insights to create successful content. Our audience is highly capable and immensely curious. You should be confident in producing highly accurate and trustworthy reviews that inform, inspire, empower and equip them to do more and live better.
This person will be part of the Enthusiast Group Test Team in Easton, Pennsylvania, and will have the opportunity to write for our other brands - Runner's World, Bicycling, and BestProducts.com.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do
• Write, edit, and update multiple product reviews and recommendations each month that help readers make smarter purchasing decisions.
• Devise and perform qualitative and quantitative tests; you will test three to four categories of product each month.
• Oversee the magazine's Home section and contribute to other departments and features as needed; you will lead our Annual Home Awards and Game Awards franchises.
• Ensure all consumer electronics content is technically accurate, authentic, and relevant to our audience.
• Represent PopMech to the endemic industry and community; serve as our consumer product expert in videos and social media; assist sales and marketing teams with promotional and branded content.
Who You Are
• You have proven expertise or enthusiasm for consumer electronics, gaming, and/or home goods.
• You have at least two years of experience writing for a digital or print consumer publication.
• You are comfortable in a fast-paced digital environment; previous testing experience is a plus.
• You have the ability to use data and audience insights to create successful content across platforms.
• You have excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
• You must be able to collaborate and foster positive relationships with colleagues.
• You have experience working within a CMS.