Test Editor (Cycling)
Hearst Magazines' Enthusiast Group is seeking cycling-gear-obsessed Test Editor for Bicycling. Under the guidance of the Test Director and Senior Test Editor, this person is responsible for testing cycling gear daily to create a high volume of reviews and product-focused content that will help our members and the wider cycling community make smarter buying decisions. You will be as comfortable reviewing a mountain bike as a folding e-bike and know how to find low-cost, all-star products as well as suss out the differences between $10,000 race bikes. You will have a clear sense of what makes exceptional cycling gear and which products benefit our readers and then boost those insights with audience metrics and commerce data. Our product journalism aims to inspire trust in our readers; you will use your expertise to create rigorously tested reviews, authoritative rapid recommendations, product news pieces, print packages, and commerce-focused roundups that are on-brand, insightful, and useful. The role is based in Easton, Pennsylvania.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do
• Plan, create, and publish product tests and related content in line with performance metrics
• Develop (or bring with you) a network of bike-industry contacts and sources.
• Appear on camera in Bicycling's video reviews and other video content.
• Collaborate with membership, sales, marketing, licensing, and partnerships teams to develop authentic, credible, on-brand content that helps those teams meet their goals.
• Use all available data to create successful, engaging reviews, guides, news, and shopping-focused content across platforms.
• Write, edit, and assign daily digital stories daily, and also print pages and packages.
• Test cycling products daily-from road bikes, to folding e-bikes, to sunglasses and GPS computers.
• Conceive and execute quantitative, mechanical tests of bike gear and related products.
• Use your sources, research, and cycling-industry insight to find and evaluate exceptional (and exceptionally high value) products for our readers.
• Stay abreast of developments, research, and breaking trends in cycling products.
• Represent Bicycling and cycling-related Enthusiast Group brands to the endemic cycling industry and community.
Who You Are
• You have 2+ years of experience researching, reporting, writing or editing for a print or digital publication.
• You have proven expertise and enthusiasm for cycling, and cycling gear.
• You have the ability to use data and audience insights to create successful content across platforms.
• You have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• You must be able to collaborate and foster positive relationships with colleagues.
• You have experience working within a CMS.
Hearst Magazines isone of the largest publishers in the world, with more than25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.