HearstMade is the in-house branded content studio for all of Hearst Magazines. Through a combination of data-driven insight and editorial instinct, we create stories that not only get attention but drive action. We are looking for a well-rounded Senior Editor, Home and Design to join our team of editors, designers, photo and video producers and talent bookers in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
The Senior Editor, Home and Design will work on all home and design branded content programs from pre-sale brainstorms through post-sale execution, conceptualizing, packaging, writing or editing custom co-branded content, and collaborating closely with our video and photo teams. Our home and design content covers a wide breadth of topics including, but not limited to, high-end design advice, market-driven shopping guides, luxury home/design tours, designer profiles, DIY content, cleaning how to's, and home-maintenance education.
The editor will work closely with the site directors and social editors across all relevant Hearst titles-including but not limited to ELLE Décor, House Beautiful, Good Housekeeping, Town & Country, Veranda, Country Living, and Popular Mechanics-to ensure content feels authentic, engaging, and in-line with each title's editorial voice. This content must be as exciting and well-executed as pure edit. A typical mix of content in the works might include a video showcasing a high-design kitchen renovation, a roundup of editor's picks from a big-box store, an in-depth Q&A of gardening tips, and an instructional article on HVAC know-how.
What You'll Do
• Assist the marketing team in conceiving of and refining sharp, compelling ideas for branded content programs; help write up ideas in response to RFPs on swift, daily deadlines.
• Be the creative owner of content campaigns from ideation to execution.
• Keep multiple, concurrent campaigns on deadline.
• Assign, edit, and build (in our in-house CMS) all content within your designated category.
• Roll up your sleeves through every step of the content-production process, from line editing to working through client product priorities to pulling stock imagery.
• Think creatively and strategically to position a far-reaching and sometimes non-endemic range of client brands organically on our sites.
• Collaborate heavily with video, photo, and design departments to ensure each piece of content is cohesive, high-touch, and well-packaged.
• Partner with internal teams (including editorial, marketing, and project management) to move complex, custom-content projects forward.
• Advise on all areas of home and design expertise: styling, trends, designers, market, and more.
• Shape processes and best practices for branded home and design content.
• Create and deliver content that best serves a client's campaign performance goals while remaining in-line with editorial best practices.
• Assist video producers in writing video scripts and graphics to ensure a cohesive voice.
Who You Are
• You have at least 5-7 years of professional editorial experience. Previous branded content experience is a huge plus.
• You are highly adept at producing smart, shareable, digital-friendly content.
• You are a bonafide expert on the home and design world, from buzzy brands in the luxury space to mass trends, from DIY intel to topical design conversations.
• You have great relationships with home and design writers and creatives across all or most applicable categories.
• You have exceptional editing, story packaging, and brainstorming skills-you should be an ideas machine and love to think big and strategically.
• You have experience editing feature content, profiles, as-told-to's, how-to, service stories, and longer-form content.
• You have excellent communication and project management skills and are a stellar negotiator.
• You are a natural diplomat and have the ability to build bridges and work with teams with uniquely different objectives.
• You are a quick thinker, flexible, and able to pivot as needed.
• You are energized by a mix of project types, from simple one-off articles to months-long production-heavy partnerships-and can gracefully juggle them all.
• You are a self-motivated, hands-on content creator who can work independently and is eager to follow through when you see a need or growth opportunity.
• You are patient and solutions-focused, with a positive, can-do attitude!
• Pre- and post-sale client-partner campaigns and/or marketing work: responding to RFPs, pitching ideas, assigning stories, shepherding art and creative development, assisting with production, working with project managers, etc
• Some production background: collaborating with creative leads on photo and video shoots
• Building content in a publishing CMS.
• Some familiarity with ecomm best practices and trends
• Some knowledge of social products, trends, and best practices across popular platforms (primarily Instagram and TikTok)
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk3neq-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.