Esquire magazine seeks a Research Editor to work in its research department. The ideal candidate will have three to five years of fact checking experience at a major publication or news organization with an emphasis on a wide range of subjects from investigative journalism to popular culture. The Research Editor will work closely with writers, editors and legal counsel (as needed) on all research-related issues and will demonstrate sound judgment when suggesting and crafting relevant editorial changes in consultation with the team. The ideal candidate is expected to thrive in a collaborative and demanding atmosphere and will hit all deadlines as set by the managing editor. The Research Editor will assume the responsibilities of the Research Chief when the Research Chief is out of the office and will be available to supervise the work of independent contractors as needed. In addition, the Research Editor may be called upon to contribute ideas for editorial content.
What You'll Do:
• Provide comprehensive fact checking of columns, fashion, service, and feature-length stories by vetting and reviewing writer sources and conducting your own independent research to verify points of fact
• Fact check charts, maps, photos, photo captions, and other graphic elements that accompany text
• Coordinate research-related editorial changes with writers, editors, copy editors and the managing editor and attend to deadlines set by the managing editor
• Consult with the legal department on issues of libel, privacy and copyright as needed
• Generate ideas for editorial content as requested
• Assume the responsibilities of the Research Chief when the chief is out of the office
• Supervise work by independent contractors when needed
Who You Are:
• An energetic and detail-oriented person with three to five years of fact checking experience
• A researcher who has knowledge of, and appreciation for, high editorial standards and demonstrates sound judgement when offering editorial input
• A discerning reader who enjoys chasing down details and seeking out relevant sources
• A person who can evaluate sources objectively and can identify credible and/or primary sources
• A well-rounded person with varied interests who is curious about the world and can engage with a diverse group of people and topics
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjxoeb-34-231-247-88-42 in your application.