Associate Editor, Bestproducts.Com
New York, NY
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels - print, digital, video and social – with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing media for the 21st century.
We are seeking an exceptional Product Manager to participate in the development and product management of a digital and physical subscription management platform for Hearst's Media Platforms division and their customers. This role will have the opportunity to play a critical part in the digital transformation of a world-leading media company, by developing new subscription products within a new platform designed to support Hearst's global media businesses.
Ideal candidates possess big-picture vision yet the drive and attention to detail to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time with customers and evangelizing their needs. You balance strategic thinking with outstanding execution – holding yourself and your team accountable to delivering successful outcomes. You enjoy solving complex business and technical problems. You are creative and capable of formulating bold product strategies. You have the aptitude to identify white space in the market, construct means to validate your ideas and can clearly articulate concepts to your team and stakeholders alike. You are highly functioning self-starter who is seeking to make an impact on new markets.
You will work closely across stakeholders including Hearst Magazine Media's Consumer Marketing, CDS Global Client Services team and several of the largest media companies in the US - focused on developing subscription capabilities as part of a larger, media-focused Experience Management platform. You will balance rapid validation activities with long term vision designed to scale. You will leverage the resources of a successful, well-known business combined with the nimbleness and forward-looking feel of a startup. Most importantly, you are a subscription management expert with experience with recurring billing, product plan and catalog creation customer data, and cross-channel marketing.
Hearst's Media Platforms division is Hearst's internal product, technology and design group, which spans both CDS Global and Hearst Magazines. CDS Global is a business process solutions provider that uses its unique data and technology assets to support the entire consumer lifecycle of major publishers. Hearst's world-renowned magazine portfolio includes Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping, Esquire, House Beautiful, Country Living, Harper's BAZAAR, ELLE, Marie Claire, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Men's Health, Women's Health, Bicycling, Runner's World, and many more.
This position can be based in NY, CA, MI, PA, TX, WA and other states across the U.S.
What you'll do
• Drive product execution on a team dedicated to building products focused on a subscription management platform that will be leveraged across both online and offline channels.
• Analyze, determine and prioritize target customer, end-user, and internal stakeholder needs.
• Develop strategies and execute plans to drive usage and business value.
• Own overall metrics around product usage and customer acquisition.
• Define and communicate a portion of the product roadmap aligned with company objectives, and supported by business cases, market research, customer data and competitive analysis.
• Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to build momentum and alignment, and shepherd product concepts through execution, validation and adoption.
• Ensure appropriate customer research, usability testing and rapid iteration. Ensure a valuable and productive user experience.
• Document, validate and prioritize product specifications within an Agile/SCRUM development environment.
• Lead build vs. buy evaluations for key integrations ensuring we are investing prudently in core competencies and technologies and partnering where more appropriate.
• Partner closely with marketing teams, focusing on leveraging both existing and new technologies and products to support audience creation and activation across channels.
• Manage requirements for multiple internal and external customer databases, as well associated marketing automation tools and processes.
Who you are
• 2-5+ years in Internet/Web/Mobile product management, with expertise in managing and/or building consumer-facing subscription products.
• Must have experience with subscription management and product fulfillment platforms
• Must have familiarity with at least one or more enterprise-class Subscription Management and billing platform such as Zuora, Aria, Billing Platform, GoTransverse or equivalent internal technology
• Should have familiarity with digitally focused subscription management and payment platforms such as Piano, Stripe, Recurly or others
• Proven track record of full responsibility through the product life cycle in a fast-paced, Agile environment. Has shipped highly successful products.
• Ability to multi-task and handle multiple deliverables and projects at once, sticking to deadlines.
• Highly collaborative with the ability to inspire others and push through barriers.
• Extensive cross-functional and stakeholder exposure and management.
• A Bachelor's degree or equivalent is required. An MBA or advanced degree is a plus.
• Leadership. Takes responsibility from inception to outcomes. Determines needs, aligns priorities, delivers to market, measures outcomes, and seeks to build upon success.
• Customer focused. Deeply understands the market and unmet needs. Loves to create and deliver outstanding products that delight customers and is passionate for constant innovation.
• Highly collaborative. Builds trust and strong relationships at all levels, influences without formal authority, pushes back when appropriate, earns respect, and respects the contributions of others.
• Excellent communicator. Articulates the product strategy and roadmap, structures the problem at hand, experienced and comfortable gaining alignment and in presenting to senior executives.
• Strategic thinker. Understands business objectives and converts them into clear product plans, follows through with execution.
• Analytic and results orientated. Uses hard data to assess opportunities, metrics driven, ruthless in prioritization, overcomes obstacles to drive business outcomes.
• Driven and motivates others. Takes initiative, sets context, listens and finds compromises, drives for clarity, relentless, hard-working, self-accountable.
• Understands technology and keeps current with the latest trends. Works with implementation teams to adapt to technical constraints without compromising end-user solutions.
• Comfortable with ambiguity and challenge. Thrives in a fast-paced environment, concurrently manages multiple initiatives, remains optimistic.
Hearst Magazines isone of the largest publishers in the world, with more than25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.