Product Manager, Monetization
New York, NY
Media Platforms (the technology arm of Hearst Magazines and its subsidiaries) is looking for an outstanding Director of Product Management to help us build a marketing, identity, commerce and monetization ecosystem for Hearst's Media Platforms division. This role will have the opportunity to play a critical part in the digital transformation of a world-leading media company, by developing new products within a new platform designed to support Hearst's global media businesses, the publishing industry at large as well as any direct to consumer brand focused on experience management and personalized relationships. At Media Platforms, our technology, tools, services and solutions touch hundreds of millions of lives by driving experiences, and growing businesses. Our team of engineers, product managers, data scientists and designers build a suite of products to lead the way in shaping and managing the future of publishing.
You will work with world-renowned publishing and lifestyle brands to help drive a platform that enables personalization, visitor engagement, direct and affiliate commerce, subscription management, content management and creation, advertising and monetization. Ideal candidates possess big-picture vision yet the drive and attention to detail to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time with customers and evangelizing their needs. You balance strategic thinking with outstanding execution – holding yourself and your team accountable to delivering successful outcomes. You enjoy solving complex business problems at the core of the digital transformation of a world-leading media company.
As Director of Product Management, you will lead a team to define and deliver next generation platforms both across the Hearst stable of media properties as well as to current media customers and future prospects. You will innovate on new business models, new technologies and new opportunities in experience management.
You will work closely across stakeholders including internal and external customers in Editorial, Commerce, Consumer Revenue, Marketing and Business Operations. You will leverage the scale and resources of a successful, well-known business combined with the nimbleness and forward-looking feel of a startup. This position is based in New York, California, Michigan, Texas and various other states across the U.S.
What you'll do
• Develop strategies and execute plans to drive the platform forward.
• Build, lead, grow and motivate a team of high-output Product Managers.
• Analyze, determine and prioritize target customer, end-user, and internal stakeholder needs.
• Own product strategy for one or more product tracks.
• Contribute to the vision of the platform as a whole and understand how your product initiatives affect and depend upon other product racks.
• Define and communicate a product roadmap aligned with company objectives, and supported by business cases, market research, customer data and competitive analysis.
• Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to build momentum and alignment, and shepherd product concepts through execution, validation and adoption.
• Ensure appropriate customer research, usability testing and rapid prototyping.
• Generate new revenue sources while maintaining a valuable, engaging and enjoyable end-user experience.
• Document, validate and prioritize product specifications within an Agile/SCRUM development environment.
• Coordinate go-to-market launch and post-launch activities. Gather customer feedback to validate that the product meets stated metrics. Prioritize and deliver necessary enhancements.
Who you are
• 5+ years in Internet/Web/Mobile product management, with at least 5 years expertise managing consumer products, marketplaces, ecommerce and/or affiliate programs.
• 5+ years building and managing teams of at least five or more independent-contributor Product Managers, across all levels of seniority.
• A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required
• Experience with advertising and non-advertising business models such as subscription, in-context product recommendations, affiliate programs, e-commerce, marketplaces, auctions, premium content, or similar.
• Proven track record of full responsibility through the product lifecycle in a fast-paced, Agile environment. Has shipped highly successful products.
• Extensive cross-functional and senior stakeholder exposure and management.
• Leadership. Takes responsibility from inception to outcomes. Determines needs, aligns priorities, delivers to market, measures outcomes, and seeks to build upon success.
• Customer focused. Deeply understands the market and unmet needs. Loves to create and deliver outstanding products that delight customers and passionate for constant innovation.
• Highly collaborative. Builds trust and strong relationships at all levels, influences without formal authority, pushes back when appropriate, earns respect, and respects the contributions of others.
• Excellent communicator. Articulates the product strategy and roadmap, structures the problem at hand, experienced and comfortable gaining alignment and in presenting to senior executives.
• Strategic thinker. Understands business objectives and converts them into clear product plans, follows through with execution.
• Analytic and results orientated. Uses hard data to assess opportunities, metrics driven, ruthless in prioritization, overcomes obstacles to drive business outcomes.
• Driven and motivates others. Takes initiative, sets context, listens and finds compromises, drives for clarity, relentless, hard-working, self-accountable.
• Understands technology and keeps current with the latest trends. Works with implementation teams to adapt to technical constraints without compromising end-user solutions.
• Comfortable with ambiguity and challenge. Thrives in a fast-paced environment, concurrently manages multiple initiatives, remains optimistic.
Hearst Magazines isone of the largest publishers in the world, with more than25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.