Hearst Television is looking for a talented digital journalist with an eye for analytics and how to use data to drive editorial decisions and strategy. The role of Digital Strategist works closely with the editorial teams at our owned and operated TV stations across the US to develop strategies for big coverage that involve social media, SEO and our own digital platforms.
The ideal candidate should be a news junkie who is obsessed with social media, should have an eye for video with viral potential and should know how to use analytics to drive traffic and engagement across multiple platforms. They should also be a teacher and coach who can help train people with varying levels of digital expertise.
This person should be looking at the big picture, but also be able to roll up their sleeves and support HTV stations when big news stories are happening as part of our digital jump team, and support our National Desk and video creation teams when needed.
The Digital Strategist reports to the Manager, Digital Content and Strategy, and works with a team of strategists to prioritize and set short- and long-term goals for Hearst TV, and to work with our teams on execution. This position can be located in New York or at any of Hearst's TV stations.
• Maintaining relationships with digital and management teams at assigned TV stations.
• Providing regular feedback, strategy suggestions to assigned TV stations.
• Lead various projects related to content, social media, search, ecommerce, and participate on projects led by other team members.
• Must be familiar with digital publishing and working in various content management systems.
• Must have a deep knowledge of the various social media networks, including posting and content strategies, troubleshooting bugs and being able to work with the platforms on user management and moderation.
• Strong knowledge of SEO best practices and how to implement them.
• Must understand analytics – Google Analytics, Parse.ly, CrowdTangle, among others – and how to use the information to build and implement content and strategy plans.
• Knowledgeable about best practices around push notifications and using data to inform strategy.
• Ability to coach journalists at varying levels of digital competence.
• Demonstrated history of innovation in content presentation and execution.
• Must be able to write and produce written and video content; guide digital staff on improving both in their markets.
• Familiarity with use of third-party content and UGC in content presentation.
• Experience working with ecommerce is a plus.
• Experience with data journalism is a plus.
• Must have 3 years of experience working in an editorial role at a digital news operation.
• Must be able to work after-hours/weekends based on need.
• Must be able to travel as assigned for training, editorial support.
• Must be able to create videos and custom images using Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.
• Must have strong presentation skills.
• Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gke4zk-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.