Designer / Animator- Brand Creative
New York, NY
ELLE is looking for a designer with a strong eye for photography and superb typography skills to join its art department . The ideal candidate will possess a high level of design sophistication, an eye for detail, and the ability to consistently meet deadlines with inspiring ideas and a great attitude. You will work closely with the editors and the art department to see pages through from concept to execution, so you must possess a collaborative spirit and the ability to manage multiple projects at once. This role reports to the design director. Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with salary requirements and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with the art department, photo editors, and text editors to design front of book pages for 10 issues annually and contribute to digital design
- Ensure all assigned pages are visually consistent with the ELLE style guide and the visual direction of the magazine and website
- Contribute art concepts to visual meetings with editors and the art department
- Articulate and pitch design ideas, including photography and illustration approaches, for stories in art meetings
- Be responsible for marking up images for retouching and oversee color correction on assigned pages
- See assigned pages through the entire production process: from concept to completion of shipping the pages to the printer
- Contribute to a collaborative design work environment
- Keep magazine wall up-to-date
Who you are:
- You have 2-3 years of postgrad design experience at a media company, magazine, agency, or fashion brand
- Able to take direction and work quickly, independently and efficiently under pressure while handling multiple projects and maintaining a calm attitude
- Possess excellent communication skills and experience talking through editorial ideas in a lively, collaborative environment
- Able to think editorially and partner with editors on solutions
- Have s trong organizational skills, including the ability to manage priorities and follow workflow
- Have a sophisticated visual sense and the ability to keep the visual identity of the brand consistent
- Expertise in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Pre-production and magazine workflow experience is a plus, a passion for fashion and photography is a necessity
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re8ky5-3-238-173-209-42 in your application.
Hearst Magazines isone of the largest publishers in the world, with more than25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.