The Hearst Enthusiast Group is looking for a Deputy Editor to lead the day-to-day editorial of our rapidly expanding Expert Reviews team, producing digital and print content for Popular Mechanics , Runner's World , and Bicycling , with the opportunity to produce digital content on BestProducts.com as well. This team produces a high volume of credible, authoritative gear reviews and product roundups written by our growing network of product experts and experienced freelancers. The Deputy Editor must be a skilled top editor, a willing collaborator, and be a successful manager of editorial teams. The right person is a strategic leader, will be obsessed with consumer products, and have demonstrable experience using SEO and affiliate-commerce best practices to create successful editorial content. You will possess an extensive network of gear-review freelancers and product-category experts. The Expert Reviews team also produces content for our print publications, so experience with the inner workings of print is a plus.
This person needs to be confident assigning and editing across several verticals, including tech, tools, gaming, running shoes, cycling gear, appliances, fitness equipment, home goods, and more. The ideal candidate will capably lead a small team of editors and a digital producer to assign, edit, and then produce 10+ reviews and roundups each week, and ensure that each piece delivers the quality, authority, credibility, and utility our readers and members expect. You will create monthly, weekly and daily content schedules and be responsible for ensuring all deadlines are met and success metrics are crushed. This role reports directly to the Senior Director, SEO & Commerce and will collaborate with our data, commerce, and membership teams to deliver high-value content that meets our group's editorial and business goals.
This position is based in the Enthusiast Group's headquarters in Easton, PA.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do:
• Manage a team of editors and producers to deliver high-quality, expert-driven gear reviews
• Top edit all content and work with writers and editors to ensure authenticity, accuracy, credibility, and trustworthiness
• Make sure all content is highly actionable to establish connections with our readers
• Oversee day-to-day execution of the editorial content strategy
• Create publishing calendars, contributor guidelines, and other documents and processes that ensure a consistent output of high level work
• Support search and commerce goals with a flexible mindset and the ability to change course quickly
• Enhance the user experience through creative layout, clever copy, strategizing with the photo department, and choosing retailers appropriately
• Collaborate regularly with our licensing, sales, and other content teams to develop and publish content that help meet overall group goals
• Support the Senior Director in team communication, weekly and monthly editor meetings, and overall editor morale, collaboration and team building
Who You Are:
• Minimum 5 years of experience working in a fast-paced digital environment, with a focus on top-editing content and managing editorial teams
• Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills
• A flexible mindset and proven ability to manage hectic daily deadlines
• Deep understanding of SEO and commerce content strategy
• Content management system experience
• Versed in using Google Analytics, affiliate-revenue dashboards, and data-management platforms
• Should have a collaborative spirit and be energetic and approachable
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Magazines requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Magazines will consider requests for reasonable accommodations on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwvbjk-3-238-204-167-42 in your application.