Why House Beautiful?
House Beautiful is dedicated to bringing you the best in inspiration and education for your home. Founded in 1896, we are the oldest continually-published design magazine in the United States, and we are proud to carry on the legacy of great design that was started 125 years ago. Whether you're hiring a designer for a complete redecoration or dipping your toes in DIY, you'll find smart tips and designer-tested ideas across our magazine pages, website, and videos.
House Beautiful is looking for a driven and data-obsessed Deputy Editor, Digital, to join our team. The focus of this position will be to boost readership, revenue, and output on HouseBeautiful.com by digging in to analytics, liaising with various strategic teams, and implementing systems that support editor output and brand growth. The ideal candidate must have demonstrated experience in boosting a brand's traffic and revenue, big ideas for growing the House Beautiful through SEO, news, and e-commerce,, and a keen understanding of what makes excellent content for HB. If you love a spreadsheet and are obsessive about the vitality of digital media, this job might be for you.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you'll do:
• Oversee day-to-day output on HouseBeautiful.com: Assign and approve HouseBeautiful.com pitches, and oversee daily and monthly output for all departments (e-commerce, design, entertainment, news, etc.)
• Manage team metrics on a weekly basis, working with each Editor to optimize output and reporting tracking/learnings/growth to Editorial Director and Content Director
• Work with SEO team to strategize output each month; assign stories and optimize them accordingly to help us hit (and exceed) our traffic and engagement goals
• Lead E-Commerce strategy, working with Shopping Editors to hit annual revenue goals
• Oversee and strategize news and entertainment coverage, working with Social Media team, Editors, and SEO teams to leverage social audiences and help grow traffic. Stay on top of trends and pop culture moments to help team pivot swiftly
• Oversee new and legacy partnership editorial programs, including Best Home Stores, Next Wave, Whole Home, etc. and work to grow traffic/revenue/audience to all initiatives
• Create and implement a (new) winning membership strategy that incrementally boosts revenue and grows our audience of dedicated readers
• Work with partner platforms, Apple News and MSN, to boost readership and increase affiliate revenue
• Collaborate with sales and marketing teams on RFP and pitches for branded content
• Lead editorial newsletter strategy with an eye towards revenue and traffic growth
• Facilitate strategy discussions and brainstorming sessions with print editors to identify opportunities that will translate into traffic growth
• Assist with trainings in all digital best practice and tools, including (but not limited to) ecomm and SEO trainings
• Provide relevant digital reporting and analysis of HouseBeautiful.com, including SEO and ecomm research, competitive gap analysis, tracking, and trend analysis
Who You Are:
• 5+ years of professional digital media experience
• Strong editorial judgment, clean writing skills, and 2+ years of staff management experience
• An affinity for and knowledge of one or more areas of deepest interest to our group's audiences
• Enjoy spotting digital trends and keeping abreast of digital media landscape changes
• Savvy strategist and expert data analyst
• Experience with digital platforms, publishing tools, and analytics
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Digital Media Studies, Communications, English, Literature or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this role
• Strong communicator and collaborator, and ability to work with our fast-paced team
The base salary for this role is between $98,000 and $110,000. The actual base pay offered is dependent upon many factors, such as: transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r783yk-44-200-171-156-42 in your application.