Deputy Editor, Commerce (Enthusiast Group)
The Hearst Enthusiast Group, which includes Popular Mechanics, Runner's World, Bicycling, and BestProducts, is looking for a Deputy Editor to helm our buying guides and product reviews. The Deputy Editor must be a skilled, approachable leader with savvy top-editing skills for the group's diverse verticals. Previous management experience and a strong knowledge of SEO are also crucial for success. As a Deputy Editor, you'll ensure our content is thoroughly researched, expertly reviewed, and packaged in a way that helps our readers make the most well-informed buying decision possible. A knack for spotting shopping trends responding to a season, a trend, a project, or a goal is ideal - as is implementing strategies for approaching them.
This person needs to be confident assigning and editing across several verticals, to different levels of editors, for all four of our brands and their audiences. Liasoning amongst our other groups, notably our SEO and Test teams, will be imperative. Our brands are the authority in a number of key categories including lawn and garden, tools and home improvement, electronics, and technology, outdoors and fitness, running and cycling, appliances and smart homes, parenting, and home decor. Since you'll have the opportunity to recommend products to over 60 million users per month, a genuine interest in our product categories is a must. We need someone who can work closely with a writer to add clarity, serviceability, and format elements to improve readability.
This role reports directly to the Director of Search and Content and works closely with a variety of departments, including Editorial, Performance Marketing, and Executive Stakeholders.
This position is located in Easton, Pennsylvania. For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do:
• Manage a growing team of both in-house content writers and remote contributors, providing them with regular feedback on performance to help improve the quality of their content.
• Top edit Commerce content and drive the writers to improve actions, voice, authenticity, and trustworthiness.
• Make all Commerce content highly actionable to establish connections with our users.
• Oversee day-to-day execution of the Commerce content strategy, from assignments to editing and publishing.
• Work hand-in-hand with our SEO team. They present the opportunities. You bring them to life.
• Support Search and Commerce goals with a flexible mindset and the ability to change course quickly.
• Enhance the user experience through creative layout, clever copy, strategizing with the photo department, and ensuring editors have chosen retailers appropriately.
• Ensure all sources, such as newsletters and social, are capitalizing on successful or trending buying guides.
• Execute licensing opportunities, sales requests, SEM ideas, deals content, and staffing needs.
• Assign and top edit content for partners or specific platforms.
• Monitor shopping trends and incorporate them into writers' priorities as needed.
• Foster collaboration, team building, and helm weekly and monthly Commerce meetings.
Who You Are:
• You have a minimum 6 years of experience working in a fast-paced digital environment, with a focus on top-editing and perfecting content.
• You must have previous experience managing a team.
• You have previous top editing, copy editing, and content editing experience.
• You have excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills.
• You have a flexible mindset and proven ability to manage moving daily deadlines.
• You have a basic understanding of SEO and commerce content best practices.
• You are versed in Google Analytics, affiliate revenue dashboards, and data management platforms and have content management system experience.
• You have a collaborative spirit and are energetic and approachable.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4jo9y-34-239-160-86-42 in your application.