Senior Editor, Prevention
New York, NY
The Hearst Enthusiast Group is looking for a Deputy Editor for BestProducts.com, Hearst's rapidly expanding product review site. The Deputy Editor must be a skilled, approachable leader-experience managing a team is a must-and a savvy top editor with a strong knowledge of SEO. A knack for spotting commerce trends responding to a season, a trend, a project, or a goal is also ideal.
This person needs to be confident assigning and editing across several verticals-to different levels of editors-including tech, parenting, beauty, gifts, appliances, fitness, home, and more. The ideal candidate should be as excited providing feedback on the best video games as they are editing smart refrigerators or reformatting retinol creams. We're looking for someone who can work closely with a writer to take a piece of content from fine to fantastic, add clarity, serviceability, and format elements to improve readability. This role reports directly to the Director of SEO and Content.
As part of Hearst's Enthusiast Group, this person will also have the opportunity to contribute to goals for our other brands-Runner's World, Bicycling, and Popular Mechanics.
Please note: for consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do
• Manage a team of content writers and provide regular feedback on performance.
• Top edit all content and work with writers to improve actions, voice, authenticity, and trustworthiness.
• Make all content highly actionable to establish connections with our users.
• Oversee day-to-day execution of the editorial content strategy, from pitches and assignments to editing and publishing.
• Support search and commerce goals with a flexible mindset and the ability to change course quickly.
• Enhance the user experience through creative layout, clever copy, strategizing with the photo department, and choosing retailers appropriately.
• Develop in-depth reviews and franchise content to improve expertise and serviceability across all verticals.
• Produce weekly newsletters and integrate commerce strategy.
• Assist the site director with licensing opportunities, sales requests, paid opportunities, deals content, contractor assignments and staffing needs.
• Assign and top edit content for partners or specific external platforms.
• Monitor shopping trends and incorporate relevant ideas into writers' weekly priorities.
• Facilitate the site's continued growth and vertical expansion with contractors.
• Support the site director in team communication, weekly and monthly editor meetings, and overall editor morale, collaboration and team building.
Who You Are
• You have a Bachelor's degree.
• You have a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a fast-paced digital environment, with a focus on top-editing and perfecting content.
• You have experience managing a team.
• You have previous top editing, copy editing, and content editing experience.
• You have excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills.
• You have a flexible mindset and proven ability to manage hectic daily deadlines.
• You have a basic understanding of SEO and commerce content best practices.
• You have content management system experience.
• You are versed in using Google Analytics, affiliate revenue dashboards, and data management platforms.
• You should have a collaborative spirit and be energetic and approachable.
Hearst Magazines isone of the largest publishers in the world, with more than25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.