Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and Oprah Daily. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels - print, digital, video and social – with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing media for the 21st century.
We are looking for a Creative Technologist with design and development skills to join our interactive storytelling team. At Hearst Magazines, you will join a diverse community of creatives building new experiences in digital media. As a Creative Technologist, you are unique in your ability to leverage technology as a way to demonstrate and quickly validate product and storytelling experiences for our proprietary media platform. You will be at the forefront of exploring, demonstrating, and validating new product concepts that enhance the way we serve our global audience of over 500 million monthly visitors for diverse editorial brands such as ELLE, Cosmopolitan, Men's Health, Women's Health, Runner's World, Oprah Magazine, House Beautiful and more.
What You'll Do
• Prototype and develop bespoke interactive stories-collaborating closely with product designers, engineers, editorial designers, and editors, and stakeholders.
• Embrace prototyping and testing in order to identify storytelling features that can be implemented into our CMS.
• Build web experiences that adhere to best practices for accessibility and important metrics like Core Web Vitals.
• Leverage systems-thinking in your approach to solving problems quickly and efficiently, helping your teammates avoid redundant work and lost time.
• Work on our proprietary CMS to implement redesigns for our top brands.
• Mentor other product designers & engineers in your area of expertise, and seek mentorship from the wider organization with an eye towards pushing boundaries and keeping your skills up to date with the latest/best practices for our discipline.
Who You Are
• 1-3 years of professional experience designing and/or building web or mobile products that have been fully implemented and released to a consumer or business market.
• Strong experience prototyping and building user interfaces with modern web technologies such as React or Vue, and modular, component-based applications.
• Proven, production-quality knowledge of contemporary digital product design tools and technologies. This could include Figma, Sketch, HTML, CSS, JS, React, Storybook and Git.
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices, including agile development, code reviews, documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
• Great communication skills: You're able to clearly articulate ideas and work with designers, product managers, engineers, and researchers to drive progress.
• Growth mindset and a desire to learn, teach, and mentor.
• Professional experience working with front-end design systems, responsive design principles, modern engineering workflows or design systems.
• Has an interest in working on a multi-disciplinary interactive storytelling team.
• Is a designer with front-end development skills or a front-end developer with design sensibility.
• Has an interest in learning more about design systems.
• Has a love of design detail, interactive storytelling, prototyping, and innovating, all while keeping web best practices and accessibility in mind.
• Eagerness to learn, a track record for being self-driven, and experience managing multiple projects at the same time.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Magazines requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 15, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyo16m-54-144-55-253-42 in your application.