Make your home your happy place-that's our motto at HGTV Magazine. With a fun, friendly approach, we spotlight real homes across the country, sharing tons of creative, doable ideas. We inspire readers to create a home they love, providing real-life solutions in an upbeat, engaging way. We also shine a spotlight on the top HGTV stars, who provide tips and advice in every issue. HGTV Magazine has a loyal 1M+ subscribers and is a top-10 best-selling monthly magazine on newsstands.
We are looking for an assistant features editor. Our ideal candidate is a strong writer and reporter who has a passion for all things home and interior design (and, of course, HGTV).
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you'll do:
• Pitch and write decorating, entertaining, real estate and DIY stories to appear throughout the magazine
• Create and maintain relationships with featured homeowners and HGTV talent, and interview them as needed
• Support the features department. This may include researching ideas, calling in products, coordinating with the art and photo departments, and more
• Spearhead the magazine's weekly newsletter, including pitching themes, writing, and building the newsletter alongside the art department using Sailthru
• Produce and edit our regular ''Sources'' column: Work with editors, designers, and stylists to compile a sources list for all stories in the magazine and coordinate with the art team and copy/research department to ensure all of the appropriate information is included
• Monitor the HGTV Magazine email inbox
• Assist with some administrative duties such as scheduling meetings and doing expenses
Who you are:
• A strong writer and reporter with at least 2 years of professional, post-grad experience writing and editing content for a home or lifestyle magazine
• Excellent at brainstorming and generating creative, relevant story ideas: You know about the latest design and lifestyle trends
• Organized and adept at juggling multiple assignments
• A go-getter who has enthusiasm to learn new things and to jump in as needed to help out the team
• Familiarity with InCopy, Woodwing, and Google Docs is a plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d524je-44-200-30-73-42 in your application.