Senior Software Engineer, Video Processing
Los Angeles, CA
The VP Media Workflow and Strategy role is a senior leadership position in the Media Supply Chain (MSC) department of the WarnerMedia Technology (WMTO) organization. The VP is responsible for the continual improvement, optimization and innovation on the design of the WarnerMedia Global Media Supply Chain (GMSC) and evangelizing, educating and influencing to advance critical GMSC initiatives and deliverables. This position will report to the EVP Media Technology Solutions.
The Media Supply Chain (MSC) team is a global technology department based in New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles, London and Buenos Aires, responsible for the building and maintaining a wide range of mission-critical applications, systems and workflows collectively called the Global Media Supply Chain (GMSC). We are a fundamental part of WarnerMedia's innovation and success and realizing our mission requires a staff of highly motivated and technically flexible software professionals across a variety of disciplines: design, development, program & project management, testing and support. We are hiring people to build a team that can create engaging, high-quality solutions, platforms and interactive experiences that ensure the best consumer experience.
Global Media Supply Chain (GMSC) applications and technology solutions are accountable for rights management, scheduling, image & asset metadata management, content processing and delivery, content mastering, localization and archive/preservation, enabling our internal partners to operationally manage and distribute WarnerMedia content globally for HBO Max, Linear & On-Demand MVPD Affiliates, Electronic Sell Through and Home Entertainment services.
• Create and drive strategic plans across the WM Media Supply Chain (MSC).
• Serve as a change agent to drive critical WM Global Media Supply Chain (GMSC) initiatives and deliverables.
• Develop, maintain and update MSC workflows and policies in collaboration with the Media Supply Chain Content Operations and Media Software Engineering teams.
• Engage and communicate MSC's strategies related but not limited to media workflows associated to content ingest, quality control, content storage, media, image and metadata management, software development, cloud integration, automation, long-term archival & preservation and emerging technologies such as Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
• Oversee Encoding Development Lab (EDL) tasked with system design and support of cloud solutions and/or on-premises hardware that provide robust, optimized and highly reliable transcoding platforms.
• Contribute to the development & optimization of technical specifications for content acquisition, transcoding, storage, fulfillment, and distribution.
• Test and exploit new technologies to improve supply chain efficiencies, reduce costs and expedite time to market processing and distribution of content.
• Establish guidelines, specifications, and standards for the MSC teams, partners, and stakeholders to ensure a consistently high level of performance and high quality of consumer experience.
• Work closely with internal business units and maintain relationships with partners and stakeholders.
• Ongoing assessment and identification of opportunities to merge processes throughout the WM global media supply chain.
• Responsible for preparation and execution of the Media Workflow & Strategy team goals and objectives, including responsibility for operating and capital budgets.
• Extensive experience in direct to consumer, broadcast and/or cable television, and in overseeing large scale global teams or initiatives responsible for delivery of content for Direct to Consumer, Linear, VOD, Mobile Apps, Web, and/or TV Everywhere platforms
• Strong problem-solving skills and analytical acumen, with the ability to drive change and function in a complex fast paced technical environment.
• Experience developing and optimizing workflows related to content acquisition, creation, editorial, transcoding, asset management, portal packaging/delivery and quality control.
• Deep understanding of the technology and business of distributing content across direct to consumer and traditional media platforms, both in and outside the US.
• Ability to work autonomously with workflow, networking, storage and encoding teams to develop systems which satisfy workflow requirements.
• Proven people leadership and management skills. Strong track record of leading and motivating staff.
• Strong ability to influence and collaborate effectively with peers, partners and stakeholder.
• Excellent stress and crisis management skills, making smart and informed decisions under pressure.
• Strong technical project management skills including the ability to help design, implement and manage projects as well as engage with agile software development teams.
• Ability to fulfill required travel, evening and weekend work and ''on-call'' periods.
• Deep understanding of various audio and video containers/codecs used in professional and consumer environments (e.g. IMF, MXF, MP4, TS containers; J2K, ProRes, MP2, h264, HEVC, video codecs.; ATMOS, Dolby E, AAC, AC3, EC3 audio codecs).
• Knowledge of encoding and/or transcoding systems used for direct to consumer platforms, multiplatform file-based or IP streaming distribution.
• Strong understanding of industry standards and techniques to develop audio, video, caption and subtitle content for direct to consumer platforms such as HLS, SmoothStreaming, and MPEG-Dash.
• Familiarity with cloud architectures (e.g. AWS), virtual environments and cloud security practices.
• Strong understanding over various audio and video containers/codecs used in professional and consumer environments (E.g. IMF, MXF, AS02, MP4, TS containers. J2K, ProRes, MP2, H264 video codecs, ATMOS, Dolby E, AAC, AC3, EC3 audio codecs).
• Knowledge of AWS and general cloud service technology.
• Experience working with media analysis tools such as Interra Baton, Interra Vega, Msight, etc.