Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY
As a Staff Technical Program Manager, you will be part of our Direct To Consumer Technology organization and help evolve our video experience. You will drive key program deliverables, communicate regularly with engineering leaders, senior leadership, and stakeholders about progress, risks, dependencies and escalations.
Our team of Technical Program Managers work closely with the Video Engineering team, collectively responsible for the video playback experience of HBO Max. We power the most critical HBO Max user experience - watching video - across all mobile, desktop, and connected devices.
The team's responsibilities include video encoding / packaging, business logic, delivering the media to the applications, and the player experience on all HBO Max client platforms.
You will collaborate with cross-functional teams including development, quality assurance, design and product development. You will manage cross-functional communication within your assigned development team and work closely with other matrixed teams to align upcoming work. By working on our team, you can say you helped to deliver the very best streaming platform in the world.
• Organize and drive the programs that deliver superb video experiences
• Focus will be working with the Content Processing engineering team to implement best in class solutions for video encoding and packaging, with an eye towards how those solutions contribute to the overall playback experience.
• Define problem statements with data driven proposals, recommendations, and solutions; then drive alignment across all partners
• Collaborate with cross-functional team(s) to establish goals and milestones that align with development team dependencies
• Establish forward looking viewpoints at where the video capabilities and experiences should be headed
• Add value in technical discussions about solution design and implementation
• Discover and articulate technical requirements and dependencies on external development teams as deliverables change. These could include changes to the encoding stack, media manifest, metadata, APIs, or the behavior of the player/client application.
• Collaborate with development teams to tease out implementation details and identify roadblocks before they occur
• Maintain a quarterly view of defined, prioritized, and scoped work
• Understand how features are delivering value to our customers and business using service metrics and KPIs
• Collaborate and coordinate strategic workstreams across multiple technology organizations (internal, external, and key service providers) to ensure alignment, and effective communications
• 8+ years of experience in technical program management
• Experience implementing video encoding / packaging and video streaming experiences.
• Communicate easily with a distributed cross functional team. You quickly learn your audiences and leverage the best tools available to effectively communicate with them.
• Exceptionally strong communicator (written and verbal), including the ability to target communications up, down, and across the organization and to external partners
• Possess excellent interpersonal skills, including negotiation and problem resolution in a cross-functional team.
• Drive the definition of project scope, develop detailed project plans and facilitate the collection of engineering, operational and business requirements.
• Experience collaborating with engineering to write features for implementation.
• Familiar with CSAI/ SSAI / AVOD.
• Experience with agile software development methodologies.
• Analytical skills to dive into usage, availability, and performance metrics data to inform technical, business, and platform experience decisions
• Systems thinking and a strong sense of ownership to drive complex programs with interdependencies that require definition from the ground up
• First-rate project management skills, including the ability to balance multiple, sometimes competing, priorities with a combination of date-driven, business, scaling, and availability timelines. You excel at leading projects through periods of ambiguity, and demonstrate the ability of managing risk without generating artificial alarm
• Emotional intelligence to lead through influence, while building a culture of teamwork and inclusiveness
The Nice to Haves
• Entertainment or media industry experience
• Familiar with slack, email, web conferencing, Jira/Confluence
• Ability to learn new development and productivity tools in order to continuously improve effectiveness
• ''Use What You Need'' Vacation Policy
WarnerMedia, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d28nky-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.