Manager, Software Engineering, Video Experience Insights
Our DTC team is laying the foundation for HBO Max, and we need highly motivated, uniquely skilled, and technically agile experts across a variety of disciplines to accomplish things that have never been done before.
We are the team responsible for HBO Max's real-time continuous video monitoring solution for quality of experience (QoE) and quality of service (QoS). Identifying, remediating, and preventing viewer quality of experience issues becomes a big data problem when you consider the number of users, the number of actions they are taking, and the number of handoffs in the experience.
You will enable engineering teams, operations analysts, and site reliability engineers to make sense of streams of data for millions of concurrent viewers so we can understand what is going wrong and mitigate those problems before they become widespread outages. You will help us build out applications, services, and streaming ETL processes that support the monitoring and automated mitigation of issues in our 24/7 environment.
• Design, architect and support a data pipeline platform that allows a customer's viewership data to directly impact their individualized experiences in the HBO Max product.
• Democratize video data across the organization by owning and maintaining the centralized processing, reporting and business intelligence systems for customers' video experience
• You'll design, validate, and deploy new real time data insights that empower our teams to take action related to video performance, encoding efficiency and network efficiency
• You'll become an industry expert in the world of video streaming delivery
• Have a deep understanding of software data structures and algorithms
• Ideate and innovate on complex software solutions
• You are a team resource, growing other engineers and defining team software standards and engineering best practices
• Design and deliver complex architectures and distributed systems, including working through other engineers to help deliver the end solution
• Describe highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences in a way they can understand
• Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write
• Seek self-improvement and are adaptable to suggestions and feedback
• Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining friendly, respectful relationships
• BS degree in Computer Science, or a related field with 7+ years of relevant experience
• End to end experience supporting both stream and batch processing of high scale data pipelines.
• Have hands-on experience with schema design and data modeling
• Previous experience developing quality of service metrics for video based products
• Success in delivering and operating reliable low-latency, services operating in a 24x7 environment
• Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (AWS, Google app engine, Azure, Kubernetes)
The Nice to Haves
• Experience with media player technologies (e.g. ExoPlayer, AVFoundation, HTML5 video)
• Knowledge of media encoding schemes (AAC, AVC, HEVC) and streaming protocols (http, HLS, DASH)
• Experience with Analytics Databases or Engines (like ElasticSearch, IronDB, or Prometheus )
• Full-stack industry experience, or hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology
• Have led the design, implementation, and delivery of large engineering projects that interacted with multiple teams
• Have experience as a team resource, growing other engineers and defining team software standards and engineering best practices