Staff Software Engineer
New York, NY
Find out more information at HBOMax.com.
We are the team that architects, designs and operates the backend datastores for the HBO Max streaming platform that enables real-time targeted customer experiences and dynamic business decisions. We work with the most modern data platform technologies, deployed on a global scale in a cloud environment, and designed to support hundreds of millions of customers in dozens of countries.
We collaborate with Software Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers to build reliability, performance and security into our streaming products. We champion infrastructure as code and strongly believe that automation is the key to delivering reliable systems. Forget what you may think of DBAs, we are ''Data Reliability Engineers'' and we allow HBO Max to move faster, to ship big database changes without downtime or outages, and to run in an efficient, lights-out manner that just works.
You will be part of a small team, you will get your hands dirty with a lot of modern technology, and you will be a key part of making HBO Max an incredible customer experience!
• Improve current release pipelines to enable build and deploy of data platforms and supporting tooling
• Introduce deployment verification and performance/resiliency (chaos)/security tests in all applicable stages of the pipeline deployment
• Automate complex procedures such as upgrades and account migrations in a manner that enables continuous availability
• Enable a lifecycle of CI/CD and continuous delivery activities in order to reduce risk and streamline delivery
• Automate metrics (telemetry, processing and visualization) currently identified in monitoring and alerting inventory as part of the deployment to measure system reliability and performance
• Identify recurring maintenance tasks and engineer repeatable solutions that enable global scale
• Learn by doing the current operational demands on the team and in-flight automation efforts, then work with team to streamline them
• Cross-train teammates on automation technologies and techniques
• Partner with peers in SRE and cloud infrastructure teams to ensure common tooling approaches
• 8+ years of experience in software engineering, preferably with a reliability engineering or deployment automation focus
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team of talented individuals, grow collaboration in a distributed environment and have fun
• Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, programming, algorithms, and data structures
• Strong knowledge of database architecture and administration
• Experience delivering solutions in a public cloud environment
• Ops viz tooling, such as Statsd, Prometheus, Grafana, Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana (ELK), Splunk
• Strong experience with Python and/or Shell scripting
• Specific knowledge of several of: DynamoDB, AWS Postgres RDS, Elasticache Redis, Cassandra, pgBouncer, AWS DMS
• Jenkins, GitHub, Ansible Playbook and Terraform
• Experience in a direct-to-consumer business where continuous availability is a must-have
The Nice to Haves
• Great communication and presentation skills
• Agile team experience, product owner or scrum master training
• Knowledge and experience with Mongo DB, AWS Aurora, timeseries, graph, and analytical database platforms
• Database tuning and optimization skills
• Experience with data privacy regulation, e.g. CCPA, GDPR, etc. and data security
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1o6zx-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.