Sr Staff Software Engineer - HBO Max
A globally-scaled service, HBO Max is a complex product that exposes server-side APIs to a large variety of client applications, to an international customer base who expect to be able to download a single application and use it around the world in a rapidly expanding number of countries. This position puts you at the forefront of our internationalization and global deployment strategy.
A key area of responsibility is to build, maintain, and operate ''gateway services,'' i.e. critical runtime (gateway and configuration) components with which the HBO Max client interacts to access server-side capabilities. These essential services must be built to scale, be resilient to failure, protect user journeys from the effects of isolated incidents, and provide unparalleled operational visibility. They are also functionally rich and enable a globally-roaming client application to navigate the complexities of local content availability and data privacy regulations.
You have a difficult job. The services you build are the linch pin between a variety of disparate service domains, built by a multitude of teams, and a number of client applications, which must interact with all of these. You have the challenge of exposing APIs to clients which are simple, consistent and easy to use while also working with back end service teams to integrate their microservices into a cohesive offering. All of this must be done with consideration for ease of development in a distributed environment, deployment simplicity, global scale, and ease of operation.
Above all, you care deeply about the customer experience and the needs of the business.
• Develop gateway components to handle API requests directly from client applications
• Provide mechanisms for implementing common cross-cutting concerns across all endpoints
• Integrate back end data services
• Ensure API is documented in a structured format, versioned
• Design and implement essential operability features
• Assess design for scalability and resiliency, plan for load testing
• Assess and revise design for ease of development, deployment in a CI/CD environment
• Lead the long term gateway architectural roadmap, socialize and evangelize through architectural governance process
• Interact with client development teams to ensure APIs are optimal for their needs
• Work with technical program managers to lay out project plan structure and deliverables
• Act as a mentor to peers and junior team members
• Raise the profile of HBO Max technical leadership by participating in industry speaking events, consortia, open source projects, etc.
• 12+ years of experience in software engineering
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team of talented individuals, grow collaboration in a distributed environment and have fun
• Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, programming, algorithms, and data structures
• Experience delivering solutions in a public cloud environment
• Experience with large-scale distributed systems in a direct-to-consumer business, where continuous availability is essential
• Server-side development using modern architectural approaches
• Knowledge of current operational visibility tools
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Comfort with moving in a fast-paced agile delivery environment
• Working knowledge of microservices running on Node
• Serverless technology experience, such as Lambdas
• Kubernetes deployed in a public cloud environment, AWS esp.
• Experience managing published/versioned API contracts, expressed in OpenAPI
• Exposure to data governance processes, in particular applied to interface contracts
• Server-side API integration experience
• Enterprise architecture experience
• Reliability engineering, designing and testing for scale, resiliency, performance, etc.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rej650-54-198-139-112-42 in your application.