Sr Software Engineer
New York, NY
Find out more information at HBOMax.com.
Infrastructure-as-Code might be a good thing, but Data-as-Code isn't a thing at all. Data is real, lives only in a production cloud, and without it being continuously available the services that make HBO Max a reality won't work. So how can we manage our data platforms in the same automated way that we use for all the rest of our code?
Managing data in production is a unique challenge, especially as HBO Max grows from a domestic service to one which is deployed globally. Reliability Engineering is a comprehensive discipline that encompasses resiliency, operational visibility, deployment pipeline automation, and additional care and feeding associated with the stateful nature of these platforms. All of this requires a highly efficient and repeatable engineering approach.
In this role you will leverage your talents and experience with developing automated and scalable processes around deployment, monitoring, testing, chaos engineering, security, etc. Working with your teammates, you will learn the data domain and innovate in applying these approaches on a difficult problem. Deploying stateless microservices is easy… this is where it gets interesting!
• Improve current release pipelines to enable build and deploy of data platforms and supporting tooling
• Introduce deployment verification and performance/resiliency (chaos)/security tests in all applicable stages of the pipeline deployment
• Automate complex procedures such as upgrades and account migrations in a manner that enables continuous availability
• Enable a lifecycle of CI/CD and continuous delivery activities in order to reduce risk and streamline delivery
• Automate metrics (telemetry, processing and visualization) currently identified in monitoring and alerting inventory as part of the deployment to measure system reliability and performance
• Identify recurring maintenance tasks and engineer repeatable solutions that enable global scale
• Learn by doing the current operational demands on the team and in-flight automation efforts, then work with team to streamline them
• Cross-train teammates on automation technologies and techniques
• Partner with peers in SRE and cloud infrastructure teams to ensure common tooling approaches
• 5+ years of experience in software engineering, preferably with a reliability engineering or deployment automation focus
• Have a demonstrated ability to work in a team of highly talented individuals, grow collaboration in a distributed environment and have fun
• Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, programming, algorithms, and data structures
• Experience delivering solutions in a public cloud environment
• Ops viz tooling, such as Statsd, Prometheus, Grafana, Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana (ELK), Splunk
• Strong experience with Python and/or Shell scripting
• Exposure to both SQL and NoSQL databases, passion for data
• Experience in a direct-to-consumer business where continuous availability is a must-have
The Nice to Haves
• Great communication and collaboration skills, comfort with working in a distributed team environment
• Strong knowledge of database architecture and administration
• Specific knowledge of DynamoDB, AWS Postgres RDS, Elasticache Redis, Cassandra, AWS Aurora, pgBouncer, AWS DMS
• Jenkins, GitHub, JFrog Artifactory, Ansible Playbook and Terraform
• Database tuning and optimization
• Experience with data privacy regulation, e.g. CCPA, GDPR, etc. and data security
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.