Sr Staff Software Engineer - Content Discovery Search
In the HBO Max Technology team, engineering and technical program management drive continuous improvement in software delivery and the evolution of the Product Development Lifecycle, in order to maximize output of customer value. You are responsible for supporting these efforts by evolving our delivery insights and tooling to allow rapid, data-driven decision making, measurement of the continuous improvement in our software delivery, and the ability to see and understand the breadth and depth of our software portfolio and resourcing at a glance. These tools and engineering efforts to enable data visualization and better decision-making will allow efficient use of resources for cost savings, and effective prioritization of feature delivery which equals more value delivered to our HBO Max customers.
Your role is at the intersection of engineering delivery, technical architecture of data and insights, and realization of customer value. You will collaborate with HBO Max Product teams, Technical Program Management, Engineering Leadership, and partner teams such as Finance to develop KPIs and shared metrics around delivering world-class streaming media software in a cost-effective and agile way. Using a combination of data architecture, coding skills and leadership you will bring together data sources from across WarnerMedia and, with your team of engineers, apply both in-house and industry-standard analysis tooling to develop holistic insights, building out a robust data pipeline that can fit the changing needs of the business. And, you will bring data-driven thinking and business acumen to help steer decision making to reflect and demonstrate best practices for a mature, global organization.
• Lead a team of agile data and tooling engineers who build out and maintain the data sources where we track our work, technical knowledge, product portfolio, and insights data reports. Ensure uptime, a spirit of service, healthy urgency, industry-leading practices, and continuous improvement in all we do
• Lead focused engineering projects to build new data pathways, tools integrations, and automation solutions that deliver new insights, expanded or more frequent reporting
• Develop strategies and operational plans to ensure our toolsets and data products are available to our organization at scale, always-on, secure and feature-rich using best practices for enterprise applications and data
• Support our partner teams with data paths from our delivery systems that inform bottom-line metrics such as Finance's ''cost per minute streamed'' KPI
• Fuse together valuable data sets such as workforce, finance, product metrics and software delivery to produce reliable warehoused data that can be used to inform decision making, portfolio prioritization, and resource allocation
• Explore and adopt new intelligence technologies such as machine learning to derive insights from our combined data sources, such as bottleneck discovery and delay analysis
• As appropriate, make the necessary business cases for tool expansion, new toolsets or prototypes, tool consolidation/migration, and lead the planning and necessary engineering to implement expansion.
• Evolve our delivery data and collaboration toolsets and data pipelines as our organization grows, leveraging best practices in engineering, data analytics, and organizational development to ensure all parts of the organization are participating in continuous improvement and seeking maximum effectiveness.
• Work directly with leadership to define, source and make available key delivery metrics, leading and lagging indicators, data views and dashboards to inform product/technical roadmaps, decision making, and evolution of the Product Delivery Lifecycle. Drive alignment on the source data and metrics that will be used for decision making
• With Engineering and Product stakeholders, build and evolve shared delivery KPIs, key reports and analysis to inform and support a continuous improvement culture, backed by data
• 7+ years of experience on multiple business operations or technology projects
• 3+ years of managing engineers on multiple technology projects
• Experience with people management and employee career development
• Experience with managing engineers, writing and reading code, and standard software development practices
• Experience with enterprise-level collaboration toolsets (i.e. Jira, Confluence)
• Experience with data ETL, Analysis, and visualization operations in both small and large data sets on cloud-based architectures (i.e. AWS, Azure)
• Able to set technical direction across a portfolio of tooling and data sources, both on-prem and cloud-based, with an understanding of platform capabilities and tradeoffs
• Familiarity with modern coding languages and frameworks (i.e. Node.js, Python)
• Experience with developing, improving, and effectively communicating data insights products such as delivery KPIs and data dashboards (i.e. Tableau, Sisense, Looker)
• Success in establishing and improving technology or business operations programs at the organizational level
• Have led the design, implementation, and delivery of engineering projects that interacted with multiple teams
• Able to synthesize business requirements, objectives and key measurements from stakeholder input, using these to set direction for for new or improved business processes or data products
• Able to wield a variety of tabular and graphical data visualization techniques that scale up to the organizational level, to quickly and accurately convey data with key context to stakeholders
• Able to operate as a peer to executive leaders, informing and guiding valuable discussions to steer and reach alignment on key program goals and details.
The Nice To Haves
• Entertainment or media industry experience
• Have experience as an organizational resource, coaching and developing employee career development for improved business results.