Director, Data Engineering
We have created a new Data Insights and Operations (DIO) group within HBOMAX Direct-To-Consumer Organization to make the streaming products more data-driven. This team is looking to hire a motivated Senior Manager of Data Platform Engineering who will be leading a team of highly motivated data engineers to build a state-of-the-art data platform to solve various data-driven use cases across the organization. This platform will host various data products such as but not limited to, Subscription, Content, and Product Analytics, Personalization and Recommendation, Marketing & Ad-Sales enablement. You will be charged with building a new core data platform in the cloud - handles both streaming and batch data processing, capable of solving any big data initiatives in scope now or evolve in future as well. You will be helping data engineers, analysts, and scientists perform their functions by building highly scalable capabilities across the platform.
This individual will bring in his/her expertise in a wide variety of big data processing frameworks (both open source and proprietary), large scale database systems (OLAP and OLTP), stream data processing, API Development, Machine learning operationalization, and cloud automation to build and support all the data needs across HBOMAX platform.
• Hire Data Engineers, Architects, and Analysts to build and maintain the platform and various data products
• Lead and mentor one or more data engineering team(s), make them productive, keep them stay focused and motivated in an intense and demanding environment.
• Conduct stakeholder interviews to build a functional platform in an agile fashion – requirements may come from an internal data engineering team or external stakeholders.
• Work closely with higher management, various stakeholders to prioritize the requirements.
• Work closely with your team to architect and implement various capabilities and data products.
• Work closely with various other data engineering teams to roll out new capabilities.
• Present platform architecture, roadmap, plans, status, and risk to various stakeholders including higher management.
• Conduct evaluation of cutting-edge open source and proprietary distributed frameworks and tools to bring data platform to the next level
• Build capabilities in the platform to make data engineering and science functions more productive.
• Build and maintain foundational data products such as but not limited to Consumer 360.
• Build process and tools to maintain Machine Learning pipelines in production.
• Develop and enforce data engineering, security, data quality standards through automation.
• Take ownership of the platform by enabling 24X7 support.
• Assist in the preparation of presentations and formal analysis in support of executive decision making and strategy development.
• Secure funding to operationalize the tools/frameworks, build a roll-out strategy for any changes in the platform.
• Help with resource planning and budget to maintain the platform.
• Be responsible for cloud cost and improving efficiency.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or Similar discipline.
• 9+ years of experience in software engineering
• 5+ years of experience in engineering management.
• 3+ years of experience in data engineering.
• Go above and beyond attitude – ready to roll up sleeves in order to meet business expectations.
• Ability to work in fast paced, high pressure, agile environment.
• Ability to lead one or more teams to deliver high quality data products.
• Expertise in at least few programming languages - Java, Scala, Python or similar.
• Expertise in building and managing large volume data processing (both streaming and batch) platform is a must.
• Expertise in stream processing systems such as Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar or Similar
• Expertise in building micro services and managing containerized deployments, preferably using Kubernetes
• Expertise in distributed data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark, Flink or Similar.
• Expertise in SQL and No-SQL – Apache Cassandra, DynamoDB, MySQL
• Expertise in OLAP databases such as Snowflake or Redshift.
• Experience in operationalizing and scaling machine models is a huge plus.
• Experience with variety of data Tools & frameworks (example: Apache Airflow, Druid) will be a huge plus.
• Experience with Analytics Tools such as Looker, Tableau is preferred.
• Cloud (AWS) experience preferred
• Ability to learn and teach new languages and frameworks.
• Direct to consumer digital business experience preferred
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• Strong team focus with outstanding organizational and resource management skills