Home Box Office, Inc. seeks a Sr. Counsel for the HBO General Inc.-Legal – Programming department. Provide transactional support and legal advice on all aspects of advertising and marketing campaigns as well as provide advice on consumer experience compliance issues for HBO Max.
• Clearance and structuring marketing campaigns for brand marketing, program marketing, growth marketing and distributor marketing, including traditional advertising, added value materials, social media, experiential activations, co-promotions with global and niche brands and sweepstakes and contests. Must be able to identify and advise on intellectual property and right of publicity concerns, regulatory and guild compliance, data issues and claim substantiation.
• Review features within HBO Max to provide advice on a range of consumer experience compliance issues, with a focus on consumer protection (e.g. consumer disclosures, autorenewal statutes, etc.).
• Draft and negotiate contracts, including agency agreements, co-promotional agreements, platform agreements, licensing, digital and emerging tech transactions.
• Attend and conduct regular meetings with marketers to structure and advise on all aspects of marketing campaigns, special events, and digital and social activations.
• Establish and maintain relationships with talent representatives, photo editors, and production personnel to ensure appropriate use of HBO talent in all campaigns and initiatives.
• Ability to project manage content clearance administrators on campaign review and clearance.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an ABA accredited law school required.
• Minimum of 7-8 years' experience in a law firm or in-house legal department working in marketing and consumer experience law.
• Must be a team player and have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, business sense, and the ability to make practical evaluations of risk.
• Must be able to provide direct, plain-spoken advice to clients (no legalese) and effectively and collaboratively communicate to colleagues and clients at all levels.
• Must be a problem solver who works as a business partner with clients.
• Must have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize among competing tasks and responsibilities.
• Valid California or New York Bar membership (in good standing) required.