Staff Software Engineer, Video Experience Insights
Our DTC team is laying the foundation for HBO Max, and we need highly motivated, uniquely skilled, and technically agile experts across a variety of disciplines to accomplish things that have never been done before.
HBO Max is a multiplatform experience, where consumers can watch their favorite shows either at home or on the go. A large architecture of systems for curation, behavioral understanding and operational visibility supports the enormous content library available on HBO Max. You will lead the teams responsible for HBO Max's real-time continuous video monitoring solution for quality of experience (QoE) and quality of service (QoS). We run the services that support the monitoring and automated mitigation for viewer quality of experience issues for interactions of millions of concurrent viewers in a 24/7 environment.
We need detail-oriented and data-driven leaders who know how to build and grow organizations. You will need to be excellent at attracting new talent to your team, but also know how to grow the skills of the people on the team. You need to be able to grow leaders in your organization and lead a charter that grows as your organization grows. You will work with cross-functional team members to develop big ideas to advance your space.
• Be a champion for data driven decisions on how to improve and evolve video streaming performance for our customers
• Collaborate with multiple departments, including our Core Media Engineering Teams, site reliability engineers, and customer experience engineering teams to deliver streaming video that exceeds customer expectations
• Continually improve and enforce code and design standards for the engineering department.
• Apply your technical acumen daily. You don't code full time but you love reading code, design docs and collaborating on software architectures.
• Collaborate with product owners, designers, sr engineers and management on the Engineering roadmap.
• Work with technical project managers to track progress and ensure goals are being met.
• Present, communicate and advocate engineering perspectives as appropriate and needed
• Collaborate in recruiting, resume review, phone screening, and interviews to bring in top-tier talent for the team.
• Monitor, review and coach individual's performance; deliver regular performance appraisals and provide disciplinary actions as appropriate.
• Support the professional goals of the engineering team members and provide coaching ( develop and motivate staff members, create appropriately challenging projects for team members, internal development opportunities, mentoring, one-on-ones)
• Develop Team Cohesion – be able to bring people together and instill a high sense of pride in the team's accomplishments.
• Drive to results both on your team as well as with any outside dependencies.
• BS degree in Computer Science, or a related field with 10+ years of relevant experience
• Minimum 5+ years managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or technical roles
• End to end experience supporting both in stream and batch processing of high scale data pipelines.
• Success in delivering and operating reliable low-latency, services operating in a 24x7 environment
• Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (AWS, Google app engine, Azure, Kubernetes)
The Nice to Haves
• Experience with batch data processing using tools such as SQL, Snowflake, Hadoop
• Experience with in stream data processing using tools such as Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, Flink
• Experience with media player technologies (e.g. ExoPlayer, AVFoundation, HTML5 video)
• Knowledge of media encoding schemes (AAC, AVC, HEVC) and streaming protocols (http, HLS, DASH)
• Experience with Analytics Databases or Engines (like ElasticSearch, IronDB, or Prometheus )
• Full-stack industry experience, or hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology
• Have led the design, implementation, and delivery of large engineering projects that interacted with multiple teams
• Have experience as a team resource, growing other engineers and defining team software standards and engineering best practices
• Demonstrated ownership of software engineering road map and experience with managing the day-to-day activities of a team using Agile/Scrum processes