Culver City, CA
Director, Data Engineering (Platform & Architecture) - HBO Max
Warner Media seeks a Dir Data Engineering - HBO Max for the Data Intel&Op - HBO Maxdepartment. We have created a new Data Insights and Operations (DIO) group within the HBO MAX Direct-To-Consumer Organization to make the streaming products more data-driven. This team is looking to hire a motivated Director of Data Engineering (Platform & Architecture) who will be leading multiple data teams consists of highly motivated data engineers and analysts to build a state-of-the-art data platform to solve various data-driven use cases across the organization. This platform will host various data products such as but not limited to, Subscription, Content, and Product Analytics, Personalization and Recommendation, Marketing & Ad-Sales enablement. You will be charged with building a new core data platform in the cloud - handles both streaming and batch data processing, capable of solving any big data initiatives that are in scope now or will evolve in the future as well. You will be helping data engineers, analysts, and scientists perform their functions by building highly scalable capabilities across the platform.
This individual primarily be responsible for various data driven use cases to support various data needs across the HBO MAX Platform. This individual will bring in his/her expertise in a wide variety of big data processing frameworks (both open source and proprietary), large scale database systems (OLAP and OLTP), stream data processing data mart development, BI/Analytics, API Development, ML Engineering to improve the ad experience and revenue on the HBO Max platform.
• Hire Data Engineers, Data Architects, and Data Analysts to build and maintain the data platform.
• Lead and mentor one or more data engineering team(s), make them productive, keep them stay focused and motivated in an intense and demanding environment.
• Conduct stakeholder interviews to build a functional platform in an agile fashion – requirements may come from an internal data engineering team or external stakeholders.
• Work closely with higher management, various stakeholders to prioritize the requirements.
• Work closely with your team to architect and implement various data products which include data marts, consumer 360, consumer segmentation and data integration with first party and third-party systems.
• Work closely with various business teams to roll out data product initiatives.
• Present platform architecture, roadmap, plans, status, and risk to various stakeholders including higher management.
• Work with data science team to operationalize models and enable various short term and long term personalization, marketing and other initiatives.
• Champion security and governance and make sure the data engineering team is following all the company guidelines while delivering data products.
• Take ownership of the platform by enabling 24X7 support.
• Assist in the preparation of presentations and formal analysis in support of executive decision making and strategy development.
• Secure funding to operationalize the tools/frameworks, build a roll-out strategy for any changes in the platform.
• Help with resource planning and budget to maintain the platform.
• Be responsible for cloud cost and improving efficiency.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or Similar discipline.
• 12+ years of experience in software engineering
• 7+ years of experience in engineering management.
• 4+ years of experience in data engineering.
• Prior experience in building scalable platform infrastructure to support consumer facing business a must.
• Hands on open-source background highly preferred – being able to architect the platform to build tools and framework is essential for this role.
• Go above and beyond attitude – ready to roll up sleeves in order to meet business expectations.
• Ability to work in fast paced, high pressure, agile environment.
• Ability to lead one or more teams to deliver high quality data products.
• Expertise in at least few programming languages - Java, Scala, Python or similar.
• Expertise in building and managing large volume data processing (both streaming and batch) platform is a must.
• Expertise in distributed data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark, Flink or Similar.
• Expertise in OLAP databases such as Snowflake or Redshift.
• Experience with Analytics Tools such as Looker, Tableau or similar.
• Experience with variety of data Tools & frameworks (example: Apache Airflow, Druid) will be a huge plus.
• Expertise in SQL and No-SQL – Apache Cassandra, DynamoDB, MySQL is a plus
• Experience in operationalizing and scaling machine models is a huge plus.
• Expertise in stream processing systems such as Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar or Similar is a plus
• Experience in building micro services and managing containerized deployments, preferably using Kubernetes is a plus
• Cloud (AWS) experience preferred
• Ability to learn and teach new languages and frameworks.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• Strong team focus with outstanding organizational and resource management skills
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkkk6q-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.