Director, Data Engineering - Funimation
If it's anime, it's Funimation.
As the market leader in anime, we proudly deliver incredible fan experiences across television, feature films, events, collectibles, and the Funimation App.
Headquartered in the US and connected by our global network, we're an anime-obsessed crew of media, tech, gaming and entertainment experts. As one of 400+ team members serving more than 49 countries and 10 languages, you'll play a key role in a worldwide community where fans and their passion will always have a place to belong.
Funimation is an independently-operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan's Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. Visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
We are looking for an experienced Director, Data Engineering who is passionate about architecting data platforms and building out a high-performance engineering team to join the Center for Data and Insights (CDI). This position will report to the VP, BI and Analytics and will play a key part in developing Funimation's data analytics 2.0 platform and data personalization services. Working in an AWS ecosystem, this role will mentor the data engineers and will work with BI and Analytics leads to standardize technologies and processes across data collection, governance, storage, orchestration and compute to ensure consistency and reliability of data and insights. The right person for this role will have a service-oriented view towards the growing data needs of the organization while future-proofing the tech stack in the background.
• Lead, manage, and inspire data engineering onsite and offshore teams by creating and delivering scalable data products and services to support various marketing, product, business operations and business intelligence use cases.
• Project manage data engineers dedicated to the CDI as well as platform data instrumentation engineers in the cross-functional teams.
• Develop scalable resource plans for migrating from Funimation Analytics Platform 1.0 to the new architecture with near real time events, machine learning pipelines using our customer data platform (mParticle) and purpose build pipelines and DBs to activate systems of intelligence.
• Work closely with product managers to make application data available for product features for platform personalizations.
• Uphold, introduce, and refine data quality standards, KPI certification methods, and engineering best practices.
• Challenge existing data structures and compute processes.
• Constantly strive to improve engineering workflows and efficiency, and heavily utilize automation whenever applicable.
• Optimize data pipelines for performance, reliability, and scalability.
• Partner with DevSecOps to optimize cloud infrastructure performance and scalability.
• Roll up your sleeves and be directly involved in solving challenging technical problems.
• Manage business-critical systems, set and facilitate departmental goals and contribute to core product strategy through data and software architecture excellence
• Mentor, hire and develop high-performing full-stack data and software engineers.
• Deliver projects on time and within budget.
• 8+ years of experience in data engineering and/ or software development.
• 3+ years managing data engineering and analytics teams.
• Experience with and understanding of event data collection tools like Snowplow, Segment, Google Tag Manager, Tealium, and mParticle, etc.
• Full lifecycle experience implementing compute and orchestration tools like Databricks, Airflow, Talend etc.
• Experience with streaming OLAP engines like Druid, ClickHouse, etc.
• Experience with AWS services like EMR Spark, Redshift, Kinesis, Lambda, Glue, Athena, etc.
• Working knowledge of BI tools such as Tableau, Looker.
• Experience building multi-touch attribution platforms using integrations with walled gardens, and digital platforms.
• Experience building AI/ML personalization products.
• Experience with real-time data systems.
• Experience with Customer Data Platforms (CDPs) and Data Management Platforms (DMPs).
• Experience with HIPAA, PCI, or other high-security environments.
• Experience working with large data sets (Terabytes of data/ billions of records).
• Ability to work effectively and positively with others: You have excellent interpersonal skills. You're a good listener. You place the success of the company ahead of any particular idea.
• Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization
• Highly articulate and an excellent communicator, with strong influencing skills and the ability to communicate well with peers and senior executives, locally and in different regions
• BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field.
• Must have legal right to work in the US
Funimation offers competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, life, short & long-term disability, 401(k) with a generous company match, ongoing employee development.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0y5k8-35-171-146-141-42 in your application.