FOX Entertainment has the power to break through. We seek to pierce pop culture with content that takes big swings, delivers mass appeal and elicits visceral reactions form our audiences. FOX has been the #1 A18-49 rated network for 2 years in a row and we got there through innovation and perseverance, as well as excellent content including shows such as THE MASKED SINGER, 9-1-1, CALL ME KAT and THE GREAT NORTH. FOX Entertainment programming includes a mix of Drama, Comedy, Alternative, Animation and Specials. Also within the Fox family are brands such as TUBI, FOX Alternative Entertainment, FOX SPORTS, FOX NEWS, FOX BET, Bento Box, Blockchain Creative Labs, and Credible.
The Vice President, MarVista Content Studio Business and Legal Affairs will directly manage all assigned business and legal affairs activities across the development and production of MarVista's growing slate of cost-effective, targeted programming. This role will include the negotiation of MarVista deals related to development, production, talent, and production services agreements for 3rd parties. This role will report to the Head of Mar Vista Studio Content Business Affairs at MarVista.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Handles the management of day-to-day production matters, including clearance matters, and liaise with third-party production counsel
• Performs a primary role in negotiations with MarVista creative and production-related business partners, including content owners, external production partners, agencies, talent, etc.
• Structures agreements and creates form documents required for development and production of films and series, including underlying rights, talent agreements
• Negotiates and drafts deals as assigned by Head of Mar Vista Studio Content Business Affairs related to motion pictures and series, both television and digital, including talent and underlying rights, and deals with external production partners
• Oversees the department's paralegal/ rights management obligations
• Assists the Head of Content Studio Business Affairs to innovate ways to engage talent and production partners, aiming to utilize the MarVista and Fox capabilities as a competitive advantage in building contractual working relationships
• Manages relationships with external production legal counsel.
• Recommends best practices, including identifying the ideal agreement for each project, building effective compensation structures, optimizing tax credits, defining business models, etc.
• Collaborates with Fox labor relations and Fox Entertainment BALA to engage with labor unions.
• Cooperates with leadership as MarVista / Fox Entertainment strategic initiatives evolve and new opportunities emerge
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• Juris Doctor degree and member in good standing of the California bar
• 10+ years aggregate experience as a practicing entertainment attorney at a law firm or in-house at a network or studio, with extensive industry relationships with agents, talent, networks, and producers
• Proven ability to perform in a high-volume environment, exercise independent judgment, efficiently manage production matters and lead negotiations with agencies, talent, producers, and other industry partners
• Possess extensive knowledge of the entertainment industry including a strong understanding of on-set production matters, television rights licensing agreements, high-level talent agreements relating to television development and production, guild/union and non-union labor and employment law issues relating to productions
• Possess excellent negotiating, drafting, analytical, interpersonal, organizational, prioritizing, and time management skills
• Possess a working knowledge of intellectual property law, risk management issues, rights of publicity/privacy issues
• Experience in structuring and drafting agreements for a variety of content types with a focus on television - series and television movies – and able to articulate and defend back-end compensation structures
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
• Series experience
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company's success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn376k-34-236-192-4-42 in your application.