TV - Head Of Character Animation
DreamWorks Animation is looking for more adventurous dreamers who shoot for the moon. We tell stories about the journeys our unconventional heroes take to make dreams come true. As a growth-minded studio, we pride ourselves on being one of the world's leading producers of high-quality, award-winning, animated films and series, reaching consumers around the globe. We push to feel more, laugh more, and build immersive new worlds.
DreamWorks creates a diverse array of original content in a variety of formats, delivering compelling stories with unique characters. We place tremendous value on the experiences our talent brings to the table from their own non-traditional paths to success. We believe in frequent communication and that transparency and trust yield the best work. We are a community of artists, technologists, innovators, and creators, who are passionate about animation and also happen to love eating lunch together.
At DreamWorks Animation Television, the Head of Character Animation (HOCA) is the creative lead for animation on a feature length streaming film. This person works closely with the Director, Producer(s), and VFX Supervisor to manage and run the Animation department, which is based at the Partner Studio.
If you are part of the fandom and believe teamwork makes the dream work, join us in edream and #doingyourdreamwork!
''What would you say you do here?''
• Interact with the Director and Producer to define the animation style and acting requirements on a film. Ensure alignment with the creative direction and vision.
• Involved in helping to take characters from paper to characters in 3D at all stages including modeling, character rigging, animation libraries, etc.
• Involved with initial tests to help define the personality of the characters.
• Responsible for the overall animation quality of the production, from its inception through Consumer Products.
• May animate critical shots that help to define the style of animation and serve as inspiration for others.
• Track continuity issues on all sequences in production.
• Work with and mentors Supervising Animators at Partner Studio to lead scenes and ensure consistency throughout the film.
• Work with Animators at Partner Studio to ensure the creative goals of the Director are met. Involves hands-on relationship with the artists, viewing scenes before the Director, and collaborating during Director approvals on shots.
• Responsible for input on CFX/Crowds.
• Oversee and approve the work of cycle animators as needed.
• Supervise animation reviews and meetings (dailies, walk-throughs, pre-production meetings, blocking meetings, etc).
• Work with the CG Supervising Producer to ensure that the animation notes/retakes fall within the scope and budget of the project.
• Communicate to the Line Producer, Executive Producers, CG Supervising Producer any problems that may arise during the production.
• Ensure that animation is being completed within the scope of the pipeline.
• Assist in the set-up of department structure for the film: hardware, software, production process, and training.
• Work closely with the HUB and Partner Studio Character TDs/Rigging Depts. to establish rig design standards that will meet the needs of the film. Spec out all the rigs for each character and provide feedback to the Character TD/Rigging department. Ensures ongoing communications with the Character TDs to make sure the process runs efficiently.
• Work with the CG Supervising producer and HUB Supervisors to gain an understanding of the asset and animation pipelines being implemented on the production.
• Effectively communicate and provide leadership as the spokesperson for the Animation department when interacting with the partner studio, other creative leadership, production management, AT and animators.
• Appropriately elevate issues and solutions to Line Producer/Producer/CG Supervising Producer.
• Ensure the department is appropriately prepared for production. Partner with production management to devise list of tasks required to effectively launch department into production, for example:
• Provide documentation for the show (i.e. style books, documentation of rigs, pose sheets)
• Work closely with the Production in the management of the department.
• Work closely with the HUB team when needed for pipeline training and tools support.
• Work closely with the HUB Animation Supervisor for callouts reviews and noting processes.
• Work with Producer(s) on animation bid for film budget.
• Schedule and set achievable goals for the department.
• Work with the Partner Studio on casting shots/assignments to Animators.
• Responsible for improving the performance of Animators on the team. Mentor Animators to provide guidance, experience and insight. Involved in trying to resolve performance related issues.
• Mentor Partner Studio Animation Leads and work with Animators and develop the teams
• Responsible, with Production, for proactively maintaining crew morale. Foster a good working atmosphere and ethics.
• Deliver reviews with Line Producer to crew members; help manage career growth of staff; provide recommendations for promotions.
• Responsible for participation in the unification efforts and other initiatives for the studio.
• Facilitate meetings with artists to keep the crew informed on show changes and requirements.
• Ensure open lines of communication with other departments and department heads.
• Travel to international Partner Studio(s) (mandatory if/when the opportunity arises).
''What do I need to have in order to do this job?''
• Preferred experience as a Supervising Animator on 2 or more films or experience as a HOCA on a Feature.
• Experience working with and managing a remote team at a Partner Studio.
• Experience in Character Development and Design.
• Experience leading a team through the close of a film during crunch and delivery.
• Outstanding cross-departmental communication skills and community building.
• Ability to creatively inspire a team.
• Strong management and organizational skills
• Strong and clear written and verbal communication, specifically relating to giving creative direction to Partner Studio
• Ability to prioritize and balance creative needs along with schedule/budget expectations
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
• In select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated, must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or adhere to enhanced protocols.
Hybrid: This position has been designated as hybrid, generally contributing from the office a minimum of three days per week.
Salary Range: $136,000 - $168,000
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by emailing [email protected].
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbzxnx-18-206-48-243-42 in your application.