At DreamWorks Animation Television, t he Head of Character Animation (HOCA) is the creative lead for animation on a feature length streaming film. This person works closely with the Director, Producer(s), and VFX Supervisor to manage and run the Animation department, which is based at the Partner Studio.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Interact with the Director and Producer to define the animation style and acting requirements on a film. Ensure alignment with the creative direction and vision.
• Involved in helping to take characters from paper to characters in 3D at all stages including modeling, character rigging, animation libraries, etc.
• Involved with initial tests to help define the personality of the characters.
• Responsible for the overall animation quality of the production, from its inception thru Consumer Products.
• May animate critical shots that help to define the style of animation and serve as inspiration for others.
• Track continuity issues on all sequences in production.
• Work with and mentors Supervising Animators at Partner Studio to lead scenes and ensure consistency throughout the film.
• Work with Animators at Partner Studio to ensure the creative goals of the Director are met. Involves hands-on relationship with the artists, viewing scenes before the Director, and collaborating during Director approvals on shots.
• Responsible for input on CFX/Crowds.
• Oversee and approve the work of cycle animators as needed.
• Supervise animation reviews and meetings (dailies, walk-throughs, pre-production meetings, blocking meetings, etc).
• Assist in the set-up of department structure for the film: hardware, software, production process, and training.
• Work closely with the Character TDs/Rigging Dept. to establish rig design standards that will meet the needs of the film. Spec out all the rigs for each character and provide feedback to the Character TD/Rigging department. Ensures ongoing communications with the Character TDs to make sure the process runs smoothly.
• Effectively communicate and provide leadership as the spokesperson for the Animation department when interacting with the partner studio, other creative leadership, production management, AT and animators.
• Appropriately elevate issues and solutions to Line Producer/Producer.
• Ensure the department is appropriately prepared for production. Partner with production management to devise list of tasks required to effectively launch department into production, for example:
• Provide documentation for the show (i.e. style books, documentation of rigs, pose sheets)
• Work closely with the Production in the management of the department.
• Work with Producer(s) on animation bid for film budget.
• Schedule and set achievable goals for the department.
• Work with the Partner Studio on casting shots/assignments to Animators.
• Responsible for improving the performance of Animators on the team. Mentor Animators to provide guidance, experience and insight. Involved in trying to resolve performance related issues.
• Mentor Partner Studio Animation Leads and work with Animators and develop the teams
• Responsible, with Production, for proactively maintaining crew morale. Foster a good working atmosphere and ethics.
• Deliver reviews with Line Producer to crew members; help manage career growth of staff; provide recommendations for promotions.
• Responsible for participation in the unification efforts and other initiatives for the studio.
• Facilitate meetings with artists to keep the crew informed on show changes and requirements.
• Ensure open lines of communication with other departments and department heads.
• Travel to international Partner Studio(s) (mandatory if/when the opportunity arises).
• Preferred experience as a Supervising Animator on 2 or more films or experience as a HOCA on a Feature.
• Experience managing a remote team at a Partner Studio.
• Experience in Character Development and Design.
• Experience leading a team through the close of a film during crunch and delivery.
• Exceptional cross-departmental communication skills and community building.
• Ability to creatively inspire a team.
• Strong management and organizational skills
• Strong and clear written and verbal communication, specifically relating to giving creative direction to Partner Studio
• Ability to prioritize and balance creative needs along with schedule/budget expectations
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6nwb8-3-238-95-208-42 in your application.