DreamWorks Animation is looking for more adventurous dreamers who shoot for the moon. We tell stories about the journeys our unconventional heroes take to make dreams come true. As a growth-minded studio, we pride ourselves on being one of the world's leading producers of high-quality, award-winning, animated films and series, reaching consumers around the globe. We push to feel more, laugh more, and build immersive new worlds.
DreamWorks creates a diverse array of original content in a variety of formats, delivering compelling stories with unique characters. We place tremendous value on the experiences our talent brings to the table from their own non-traditional paths to success. We believe in frequent communication and that transparency and trust yield the best work. We are a community of artists, technologists, innovators, and creators, who are passionate about animation and also happen to love eating lunch together.
A Department Technical Director provides critical support to a show's artists and department heads. A Department TD will design, develop, deploy, and document new tools and processes for a particular show, project or department.
The Department TD will focus on Real Time Workflow (such as Unreal) and partner with leadership of the production show (VFX Supervisor, Supervising TD(s), Lead TD(s)) as well as Production Software engineers on the Real Time development vision/goal for the production. They will be responsible for implementing Real Time development tasks as well as supporting artists across departments using tool sets such as Unreal on the show.
If you are part of the fandom and believe teamwork makes the dream work, join us in #livingthedream and #doingyourdreamwork!
Responsibilities: ''What would you say you do here?''
• Support production critical software, infrastructure and workflows using Real Time Workflow such as Unreal on the show.
• Gain and demonstrate a working knowledge of studio coding standards, policies, and best practices. Use these skills to engineer robust and strategic software solutions.
• Define development standards for area(s) of Real Time Workflow such as Unreal and its associated studio development strategy
• Own some or all of the development on an assigned project or workflow and serve as a point of reference
• Build validation tests to ensure software quality
• Stay abreast of existing and new third party technology to inform technical decision making.
• Triage artist and production issues.
• Extend and enhance the existing pipeline through support and development of existing software and procedures
• Align Real Time tool sets with technical vision as determined by Supervising TD(s), VFX Supervisor, and Lead TD(s)
• Contribute to novel software integrations.
• Gain a working knowledge of proprietary and/or industry-standard DCCs (such as Premo, Moonray, Maya, Houdini, Unreal, Nuke)
• Gain a working knowledge of the artist's workflow, toolsets and processes Propose, develop, communicate and implement change management plans
• Maintain a constructive attitude when faced with unexpected challenges
• Develop and support custom solutions for feature animation
• Work closely with other Technical Directors, Workflow Directors, Production Staff, VFX Supervisors, Department Heads, Pipeline Engineers, and artists to realize said solutions
• Complete assigned tasks on time or proactively communicate obstacles and timeline changes.
• Serve as a primary contact for new toolset design or development for Real Time Workflow such as Unreal.
• Continually evaluate the pipeline and find new ways to streamline production processes ∙ Communicate with artists to identify production facing problems
• Clearly and concisely document software and approaches to solving recurring problems
• Deconstruct production issues/requests and direct component tasks to appropriate departments
• Facilitate communication on technology changes and requirements
• Constructively give and take in feedback and work towards addressing it
• Collaborate with TDs and department leadership when resolving production issues.
• Act as a production/department representative when collaborating with cross disciplinary teams.
• Assist in training and mentoring of new Technical Directors
• Be a model representative of the TD department
Basic Qualifications: ''What do I need to have in order to do this job?''
Strong programming skills including Object Oriented Programming.
Working knowledge of computer graphics fundamentals
Production experience in computer animation, visual effects, or game industry
Basic experience working with Unreal Engine.
Working knowledge of proprietary and/or industry-standard DCCs, such as Premo, Moonray, Maya, Houdini, Unreal, Nuke
Independent-minded, hard-working, team-oriented, respectful, and proactive attitude towards development and collaboration.
Ability to work independently or within a group.
Ability to establish and shift priorities in collaboration with Supervising TDs.
Ability to recognize blocking obstacles and seek help
Desired Qualifications: ''What can I offer?''
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
Demonstrated subject matter expertise in Unreal.
A proven record for thoroughness and completion of one or more initiatives, development projects, or workflow designs
Proficiency in Python.
Experience with writing tools or plugins for computer graphics applications
Experience with tool integration into existing or new pipelines
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpxz04-34-207-247-69-42 in your application.