Senior Software Engineer
The Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment's mission is to deliver The Walt Disney Company's unparalleled storytelling to consumers in the evolving ways fans and families around the world prefer to experience our content. Within DMED, the Data, Algorithms, Tech, Analytics (D.A.T.A.) group builds trusted data solutions, algorithms and actionable insights to empower Disney to impact and deliver business outcomes that delight our customers. This position is within the Custom Reporting team within the Tech area of the D.A.T.A. group.
This senior level software engineer will serve as one of our engineering pillars on D.A.T.A. Tech's Custom Reporting team helping us pivot to a SaaS solutioning approach. Primary areas of focus will include 1) creating a Custom Visualization Platform based on technology to be componentized from existing Quantified and Analytics Reporting Console (ARC) custom solutions, 2) creating a Portfolio Insights reporting solution, and 3) implementing an API Platform solution to power the Custom Visualization Platform and other Disney solutions.
The Quantified solution includes a series of high-profile managed dashboards designed to provide DMED leadership with a standardized and automated view into the performance of the DMED segment (Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu services) across financials, subscriptions, content pipeline, viewership engagement, affiliate sales and ad sales. The ARC solution provides a simple way to understand subscribers and their engagement with content on Disney+ and includes analytics for content engagement, brand performance, homepage interactions, and near-real time subscriber and content spotlights. The Custom Visualization Platform is envisioned to be the ''glue'' between existing and anticipated web and mobile applications, such as the DMED D.A.T.A. Portal, and underlying API Platform and data sources such as Snowflake and Amazon S3.
Partner with our Design, Product, Program, Data Science, Data and Infrastructure teams and full-stack engineers to mature the technology, architecture, patterns and practices used by the Custom Reporting team and make our solutions and systems premier destinations and components for enabling DMED analytics and insights.
You will draw on your full-stack software engineering experience with modern UI libraries/frameworks, such as React, Highcharts and Storybook, and server-side Python and Java programming to create scalable, maintainable and performant custom solutions.
• Lead architecture, design and implementation
• Consult on integrations with other teams as well as our business partners
• Drive best practices and standardization across engineers
• Drive quality for the team with a focus on making the right technology choices
• 5+ years of relevant software development experience
• 2+ years of cloud application architecture and engineering (AWS a plus)
• Ability to lead, collaborate and drive organizational change
• Familiarity with various CI/CD methodologies and implementation strategies (TeamCity, GitLab and/or Jenkins a plus)
• Hands-on experience with performance testing techniques such as performance modeling, establishing baselines, services monitoring, and profiling system performance
• Thorough understanding of React.js, Redux and its core principles
• 3+ years proficiency in modern web development around Single Page Application (SPA) development
• A strong background in functional programming (React patterns a plus)
• A strong understanding of the design principles and patterns for Node.js
• A strong understanding of Python programming (knowledge of Gunicorn/Sanic a plus)
• A strong understanding of relational databases and SQL queries (knowledge of NoSQL databases a plus)
• A strong understanding and use of asynchronous API patterns
• An understanding of AWS CloudFormation and CI/CD structures
• Knowledge of containerized application development based on Docker images
• Able to define, document and communicate front-end, middleware and back-end architectures
• Clear communicator (written and verbal)
• Ability to write test plans and test cases, and to communicate bugs to engineers and other stakeholders
• Ability to focus on deadlines and deliverables
• Knowledge and understanding of Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), software development and agile development/testing practices and methodologies
• Knowledge of common performance issues and ability to use logs, monitoring tools, and work with developers to determine root causes across distributed components
• Ability to set architectural direction for assigned unit of work or more broadly when needed
• Ability to work and participate in a team with open and collaborative style of communications
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
• BS or equivalent degree in Computer Science
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqoqbm-35-172-223-30-42 in your application.
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.