Senior Software Engineer (DevOps)
Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology
On any given day at Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology, we're reimagining ways to create magical viewing experiences for the world's most beloved stories while also transforming Disney's media business for the future. Whether that's evolving our streaming and digital products in new and immersive ways, powering worldwide advertising and distribution to maximize flexibility and efficiency, or delivering Disney's unmatched entertainment and sports content, every day is a moment to make a difference to partners and to hundreds of millions of people around the world.
A few reasons why we think you'd love working for Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology
• Building the future of Disney's media business: DE&E Technologists are designing and building the infrastructure that will power Disney's media, advertising, and distribution businesses for years to come.
• Reach & Scale: The products and platforms this group builds and operates delight millions of consumers every minute of every day – from Disney+ and Hulu, to ABC News and Entertainment, to ESPN and ESPN+, and much more.
• Innovation: We develop and execute groundbreaking products and techniques that shape industry norms and enhance how audiences experience sports, entertainment & news.
Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology is looking for a talented and motivated Senior Software Engineer to join the Web Core Services Infrastructure team. We are a distributed devops team focused on synthesizing complex cloud-first tooling into a friendly developer experience. We own tools used to build, test, deploy, and monitor Disney's web-based products including Disney+, Star+, Hulu, ABCNews, StarWars, Marvel, and ESPN. As part of this team you will be responsible for delivering part of the largest media streaming platform in the world.
The right person for this role is an empathetic helper with a passion for elegant solutions to difficult problems. We are looking for fast learners who understand enterprise scale and have a commitment to site reliability. You will demonstrate engineering excellence by developing performant solutions accompanied by quality documentation and tests. You will contribute to architectural decisions that do not just fulfill the requirements, but also provide scalability and flexibility for the future. You should have fantastic communication skills, enabling you to collaborate with other engineers and teams in a professional and efficient manner. You should have a desire to support and mentor other team members to enable them to become more knowledgeable and achieve their career goals.
To support this assignment, you will be surrounded by colleagues eager to help you succeed, and you'll be part of a team that encourages experimentation and productive failure.
The Web Infrastructure Engineer works with a diverse set of technologies to facilitate the release of web applications into production. You will collaborate with application developers, project managers, test engineers, sysadmins, AWS support engineers, and software vendors. You will stitch together internal tools into a cohesive, easily understandable CI/CD system. You will own automation that builds and runs code from multiple locations to create artifacts that are analyzed, tested, published, deployed, and consumed by millions of users around the world.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
• Create and maintain systems that support continuous integration and deployment
• Automate development and release processes
• Monitor production infrastructure and perform incident root cause analysis
• Implement integrations with enterprise apps like Jenkins, Artifactory, Datadog, Spinnaker
• Review and test other developers' code
• Support application developers and evangelize cloud-first best practices
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
• 5+ years applicable work experience
• Deep interest in applying technology to complex, distributed systems.
• An automation mindset
• Familiarity with devops concepts like performance monitoring, autoscaling, failover, redundancy, traffic analysis, etc
• Knowledge/experience with AWS products and services.
• Knowledge/experience with CI systems such as Jenkins or Github Actions
• Expertise in some of the following: Docker, NodeJS, Typescript, Bash, Groovy
• Ability to write documentation and communicate technical topics with clarity.
• Experience with web delivery workflows
• Experience developing Jenkins shared libraries
• Experience developing Github automations
• Experience deploying and operating geographically distributed, highly available services
• Experience with software containers (e.g. Docker) and schedulers (e.g. ECS, Kubernetes)
• Experience with artifact repositories (e.g. Artifactory, ECR)
• Experience with code scanning systems (e.g. SonarQube, Snyk. Semgrep)
• Experience with process automation
• BS Computer Science or related technical discipline
The hiring range for this position is $142,600 to $191,100 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Direct to Consumer:
Disney's Direct to Consumer team oversees the Hulu and Disney+ streaming businesses within Disney Entertainment helping to bring The Walt Disney Company's best-in-class storytelling to fans and families everywhere.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Direct to Consumer.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7po38-34-239-154-201-42 in your application.