Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology
On any given day at Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology, we're reimagining ways to create magical viewing experiences for the world's most beloved stories while also transforming Disney's media business for the future. Whether that's evolving our streaming and digital products in new and immersive ways, powering worldwide advertising and distribution to maximize flexibility and efficiency, or delivering Disney's unmatched entertainment and sports content, every day is a moment to make a difference to partners and to hundreds of millions of people around the world.
A few reasons why we think you'd love working here:
• Building the future of Disney's media: DE&E Technologists are designing and building the infrastructure that will power our media, advertising, and distribution businesses for years to come.
• Reach & Scale: The products and platforms this group builds and operates delight millions of consumers every minute of every day – from Disney+ and Hulu, to ABC News and Entertainment, to ESPN and ESPN+, and much more.
• Innovation: We develop and implement groundbreaking products and techniques that shape industry norms and enhance how audiences experience sports, entertainment & news
Media Engineering is an innovative organization that is focused on providing the best possible video playback experience, art, and metadata to customers around the world, powered by exceptional technology. This strategic work requires streamlining and repurposing technology across different business and distribution channels – including streaming, linear, and theatrical – so that technology can ebb and flow across the needs of the business.
Media Player Engineering team mission is to design video streaming playback solutions in collaboration with encoding, packaging, and delivery teams to optimize the Disney Streaming technology stack for the best streaming experience possible on all devices.
Our team is seeking someone who can fill the role of senior software engineer for our playback test stream and support operations, with focus on testing and development across all the Disney direct-to-consumer brands like Disney+, ESPN, and Hulu.
Your primary initiative will be to collaborate with playback involved teams to ensure our software provides a foundation for media playback innovation at Disney.
You are an opinionated optimist who always leaves the code that you are working on better than you found it. You foster trust, approach problems with empathy and respect, and embrace creativity. You see yourself as a partner who excels in problem solving, puts users first, and cares deeply about quality.
• Serve as a primary engineer on an internal facing API focused on serving test streams and mocking services to unblock teams and/or help prototype new video playback features
• Develop and maintain a REST service written in Typescript
• Design systems and procedures to best scale our API
• Automate processes around test streams and mock services
• Contribute to continuous development patterns
• Work with a key-value database
• Use Test Driven Development practices and functional paradigms
• Interest in the HLS video space
• Experience mocking data and/or services
• Experience interacting with DynamoDB
• Experience with AWS
• Java knowledge (for external apps we will maintain)
• 5+ years experience leading a project
• 5+ years experience working in a cross-functional capacity
• 2+ years experience with TypeScript
• 2+ years experience working with functional paradigms
• Experience writing unit tests
• Experience creating tools and/or mock services
• 2+ years experience leading a project
• 2+ years experience building APIs
• 2+ years experience working in a cross-functional capacity
• 1+ years experience with TypeScript
• Experience with authentication, authorization, and access management
• Understanding of agile methodologies and git source control
• BS Computer Science (or related technical discipline or its equivalent) or real world experience as an engineer
The hiring range for this position in New York and Washington is $142,600 to $191,100 per year and in San Francisco, California is $149,000 to $199,900 per year and in Greater Los Angeles, California is $136,100 to $182,400. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
Disney Entertainment and ESPN Technology (DE&E Technology) provides the technological backbone and product development for Disney's two media business units, while helping to keep the company at the vanguard of innovation – enabling the Company to continuously leverage technology to enhance storytelling and creativity, while delivering scalability, flexibility, and efficiency for its businesses.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9v9qk-18-207-129-175-42 in your application.