Senior Scala Engineer
London, United Kingdom
As of December 2020 we had 86.8 million subscribers globally.
We need your help to continue to scale until we've built a platform that can be accessed from anywhere at any time.
The User Services Teams:
We are functional Scala enthusiasts (Cats / Scalaz / ZIO / shapeless etc) that care about following best practice. We're responsible for things like registration, login and authentication, profiles and personalisation and compliance for Disney+ & ESPN+
Our UK teams work in small, cross-functional squads that promote Agile practices. As a backend development team, we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that is applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Play and Cats, as well a wide range of cloud-native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
Been interested in Scala for a while? You have probably heard of Cake Solutions if so, which is how we began in London. Cake was acquired by Disney in 2018, so we have a lot of experienced engineers that are known across the Scala community.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place, where the team is responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications - ''You build it, you run it.''
What you will do:
You will have the opportunity to work on interesting projects using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Kinesis, and Dynamo with the aim to build software that is distributed, reactive, and scalable.
• Contribute to or lead a significant part of the implementation and deployment of services within your team.
• Work on challenging and varied business domains including video encoding, digital rights management, advertising, authentication, and payment services.
• Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration and, by your example, lead others in your team to do likewise.
• Develop your technical understanding to support and build your career.
• Act as a mentor and an example to others in your team and across the organisation.
You'll fit in well if you:
• Have some commercial experience with Scala
• Have experience or at least an interest in functional programming
• We'd love to see some prior experience with (or a willingness to learn) the Lightbend Reactive Platform, but any JVM (Scala, Java, Clojure) or Functional Language (Haskel, Lisp, Scheme) background is great!
• Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks like Akka / play etc
• Have experience with public cloud technologies - We use AWS
• Have experience with or an interest in ''DevOps'' tooling
• Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
• Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
• A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
• An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
• Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
The interview process:
The process is straight forward and has 3 main stages. You'll be pleased to hear there's not a take-home test and the whole process can be done remotely if necessary.
It begins with an initial and very informal introduction call with the recruiter. From there if we both agree there's a good match, you'll have a 1-hour fact-finding/ fairly technical meeting with two members of the tech team. If we both agree to progress from here this will be followed by a 2-hour meeting with another two members of the engineering team. This stage will include a pair programming exercise.
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.