Senior Data Software Developer in Test
New York, NY
At Disney Streaming Services, data is central to measuring all aspects of delivering streaming video. The data engineering team is responsible for collecting, preparing, and processing extremely large volumes of data using public cloud and open source technologies. The data engineering team offers transparency into system operation, and guidance for performance optimizations.
If you are interested in joining Disney Streaming Services in the pursuit of not only crafting new media products but enjoying the products you build, we are interested in hearing from you.
• Design complex data models across various systems/domains/tech stacks within Disney Streaming to solve problems focused on operational and product use-cases like personalization, traffic routing, anomaly detection, fraud detection, and system behavior.
• Solves unique and complex problems with broad impact on the business
• Lead project teams to achieve milestones and objectives
• Manage all phases of technical projects
• Partner with technical and non-technical colleagues to understand data, logging and reporting requirements
• Solve unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business
• Anticipates internal and or external business challenges and/or regulatory issues
• Recommend process, product or service improvements
• Contributes to the development of functional strategies
• Oversee the product's or project's conception, design and initial product specifications and manage scheduling, estimating and securing materials
• Own and build infrastructure or processes to facilitate system wide Data Quality adherence
• Design optimal ETL approaches with clear understanding of technical and functional tradeoffs
• Establish best practices in building optimal infrastructure/data structures to support best in class dashboard and reports
• Coach and mentor team members to improve their designs and ETL processes
• Own and manage system, sub-system uptime SLAs, associated processes, technology tradeoffs
• Determine leading edge technical / business approaches and/or develops major new technical tools.
• Design and own the way real-time data is consumed, stored, and analyzed
• Be the point person for a technical function and/or business domain, being the organization's expert
• Work side-by-side with other senior engineers and independently drive projects from inception, specification, execution, or to launch
• Work with engineering teams to collect required data from internal and external systems.
• Explain and own system wide design trade-offs, build consensus across org and get buy-in with stakeholders
• 10+ years of relevant professional experience
• Strong understanding of data modeling principles including Dimensional modeling, data normalization principles etc.
• Expertise implementing and reporting on business KPIs in data warehousing environments
• Ability to think strategically, analyze and interpret market and consumer information.
• Excellent conceptual and analytical reasoning competencies
• Strong communication skills – oral and written presentations
• Experience with Streaming and Real-time Applications
• Expert level understanding of SQL Engines and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
• Recognized as an expert in the field
Technology Skills & Experience:
• Traditional relational databases and/or distributed systems such as Hadoop/Hive, BigQuery, Redshift.
• Programming languages such as Scala, Python, R, Haskell, Lisp, Prolog
• Streaming platforms such as Flink, Spark
• Workflow management tools such as Airflow or Luigi
• Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase)
• Data exploration and data visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, Chartio, Apache Superset, Plotly / Dash
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
Bonus for advanced degree in an analytical field such as economics, mathematics, or computer science
• New York City preferred
• Remote possible for the right candidate who is willing to work EST hours from within the USA
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.