Sr Software Engineer
New York, NY
Comprised of Disney's international media businesses and the Company's various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company's global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney's Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney's international media operations and the Company's direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company's ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
• Effectively plans, schedules, and assigns work to a group of Systems Engineers and Software Engineers; consistently monitoring the overall function of the team. Ensures proper training of staff.
• Independently reviews, plans and evaluates operating systems required administration and provides assistance and support to Systems Engineers. This includes performing proactive monitoring practices and preparing proposals on upgrades needed to keep a stable, available and reliable operating environment in place.
• Defines data/information architecture standards, policies and procedures for the organization, structure, attributes and classification of data elements, and applies accepted data content standards to technology projects.
• Demonstrates experience with installs and configurations to maintain organization's servers and operating systems. Follows and promotes the development life cycle process, ensuring that Change Management practices are adhered to.
• Consistently takes appropriate proactive measures to ensure the stability, availability and reliability of areas under responsibility.
• Ensures during ''emergency and high'' problem events that the pertinent System Engineering resources are working the issues and any status updates are given to the Sr. Director of Systems Engineering in a timely fashion.
• Actively provide and promote the importance of documentation, accurate records of work performed, project tracking, and management reporting. Reviews documentation provided by Systems Engineers for accuracy and quality.
• Coordinates ongoing maintenance of System tooling and automation methods and associated operating systems.
• Demonstrates experience in creating and maintaining strong teamwork ethic relationships, working with other IT team members to implement necessary changes, upgrades and enhancements to the systems.
• Assists the Sr Director of Systems Engineering in the development of philosophies, strategies and policies to support the IT mission.
• Highly experienced managing a multi-server distributed environment or distributed network.
• Experience in managing a software engineering team.
• Experience with scripting such as Python, Perl, Go, etc
• Experience with the following operating systems: Linux
• Understanding of RHEV-M, Ovirt, Kubernettes, and networking a must.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and writing skills and the ability to perform well under pressure.
• One year of leadership experience in IT environment a plus.
• Experienced managing technical resources.
• Demonstrated experience working with multimedia systems
• A degree in Computer Science or other equivalent experience of six or more years working in an IT environment.
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.