On any given day at Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology, we're reimagining ways to create magical viewing experiences for the world's most beloved stories while also transforming Disney's media business for the future. Whether that's evolving our streaming and digital products in new and immersive ways, powering worldwide advertising and distribution to maximize flexibility and efficiency, or delivering Disney's unmatched entertainment and sports content, every day is a moment to make a difference to partners and to hundreds of millions of people around the world.
• Building the future of Disney's media business: DE&E Technologists are designing and building the infrastructure that will power Disney's media, advertising, and distribution businesses for years to come.
• Reach & Scale: The products and platforms this group builds and operates delight millions of consumers every minute of every day – from Disney+ and Hulu, to ABC News and Entertainment, to ESPN and ESPN+, and much more.
• Innovation: We develop and execute groundbreaking products and techniques that shape industry norms and enhance how audiences experience sports, entertainment & news.
Engineering Services designs, builds, and sustains technology that powers DE&E Technology's worldwide content production and distribution platforms. In doing so, they contribute to a series of cross-functional services and technologies, including Quality Assurance, Data Analytics, Software Development, Broadcast Infrastructure, and Networking & Security.
We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied creatively to solve complex business problems. We are a motivated team that is committed to lifelong learning and improving, both in and out of the office. We strive to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and in the technologies, we use to deliver our solutions. We care about the details because every pixel, every line of code, and every user interaction with our products determines whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the very best products possible. You'll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions.
We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team. We often include our users as part of our team and we work to connect with them on a human level, understanding their world, so we can deliver software that they love to use.
• Manage a team of software engineers responsible for hosted and SaaS observability platforms operating at scale across business segments
• Liaison across various internal and external teams to build and develop solutions enabling and further enhancing collective intelligence on the health of our services, clients, products and consumer facing offerings
• Drive planning, design, and implementation of strategic short-term projects and long-term initiatives for platform features, stability enhancements and adoption of engineering best practices
• Serve as a thought leader in the consolidation and expansion of observability platforms across Disney to achieve operational efficiency and adequate business impact
• Operate as a technical expert on observability platforms by designing, architecting, triaging, diagnosing and driving technical strategy discussions to enable rapid issue resolution for the business
• Collaborate directly with observability vendors to resolve issues, drive product enhancements and ensure operational health of our internal and external platforms
• Develop a deep understanding of our engineering infrastructure and systems that support our customer facing products by performing code reviews and guiding the technical direction of the team
• Create and manage key engineering team health KPIs through regular monitoring and reporting to leadership
• Minimum 8 years of software engineering experience
• Bachelor's degree in information science, data management, computer science or a related field
• Proficiency with Golang, Python, or similar including knowledge of software engineering best practices and source code version control (Github)
• Proficiency with Datadog or New Relic and LGTM stack (Loki, Grafana, Tempo, Mimir)
• Proficiency with CICD integration and pipeline development in Jenkins, Spinnaker or similar operating with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Cloudformation) and Unix/Linux development environments
• Proficiency with Agile approaches for software development
• Familiarity with observability technologies, principles and best practices such as Golden Signals, RED (Rate/Erros/Duration) metrics, Pillars of Observability, distributed tracing, metrics, logging, dashboards, monitoring, and alerting
• Willingness to take challenges head-on while being part of a team
• Proactively follow latest observability industry trends and stay up-to-date on cutting-edge technologies to help keep Disney a leader in the field
• Direct experience with SaaS offerings in the observability space, such as Datadog, New Relic, or Grafana Cloud
• Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage the deployment/operations of complex engineering teams and able to lead a team of software engineers, providing mentorship and setting technical direction
• Experience working in a mix of AWS/Cloud and Enterprise data center environments, working with large-scale, real-time systems
• Masters degree in Computer Science
The hiring range for this position in California is $164,500 to $220,600 per year. The hiring range for this position in New York is $172,282 to $231,110 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
Disney Entertainment and ESPN Technology (DE&E Technology) provides the technological backbone and product development for Disney's two media business units, while helping to keep the company at the vanguard of innovation – enabling the Company to continuously leverage technology to enhance storytelling and creativity, while delivering scalability, flexibility, and efficiency for its businesses.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7p31p-34-239-154-201-42 in your application.