Sr Software Engineer
New York, NY
Manager, Data Engineering (Core Data team)
At Disney Streaming Services, data is central to measuring all aspects of the business, and critical to its operations and growth. The data engineering team is responsible for collecting, analyzing and distributing data using public cloud and open source technologies that offers transparency into customer behavior and business performance.
If you are interested in joining Disney Streaming Services in the pursuit of not only crafting new media products but enjoying the products you build, we are interested in hearing from you
• Own and extend multiple data components within the DSS data ecosystem. These components include batch and streaming data sources, data transformations, inbound and outbound data feeds, data surfaces for analysts or other consumers to query through, and various platform components that enable these features.
• Lead a team of 2 to 5 Data Engineers as well as work with 1-2 Technical Project Managers.
• Provide management, mentoring, and growth for members of the team.
• Maintain a culture of excellence.
• Create staffing plans and gain commitment needed for any increased staffing needs.
• Recruit and hire top talent.
• Encourage collaboration and teamwork within and across teams.
• Develop roadmaps and project plans.
• Communicate these plans across all of data engineering, stakeholders and partners.
• Ensure risks and dependencies are documented and managed.
• Build strong relationships across all data stakeholders, engineering teams, and other project managers.
• Clearly communicate goals, plans and commitments.
• Continuously improve reliability of data platform components.
• Run root-cause analysis and develop and communicate post-mortems.
• Track incidents and bugs, and build programs to drive these metrics down.
• Develop and execute Agile practices.
• Bridge communications across multiple scrum teams.
• Achieve operational objectives by supplying information and recommendations, removing impediments, soliciting feedback from all stakeholders, incorporating feedback into future development iterations.
• 1-3 years of experience managing teams
• 5+ years software development experience
• 2+ years of experience specializing in big data technologies
• 3-5 years of experience developing in Python (bonus for experience with Scala)
• Experience deploying and running AWS-based data solutions and familiar with tools such as Cloud Formation, Athena, and Kinesis
• Experience engineering big-data solutions using technologies like Databricks, EMR, S3, Spark
• Strong SQL and database design skills
• Strong facilitation and communication skills. Ability to run efficient meetings with many attendees.
• Experience designing large-scale data systems, writing requirements and documenting data flows and system diagrams
• Strong partnering skills and ability to work within a collaborative environment
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Experience with SQL and data visualization tools like Looker or Tableau
• Familiarity with Machine Learning technologies
• Experience analyzing data and metrics using SQL
• Familiarity with front-end technologies and microservice back-end architecture
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• New York City preferred
• Remote possible for the right candidate who is willing to work EST hours from within the USA
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.