Senior Manager, Project Management - Media Engineering
New York, NY
The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department's responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Live team provides technical and engineering support for our partner products, including workflow design and implementation, incident management and system health monitoring for live and VOD streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
• As a Lead Media Streaming Engineer, you will be a major contributor to a small and dynamic team of engineers responsible for designing and implementing live streaming workflows for our video encoder and segmenter products. Responsibilities include designing and contributing to internal tools, scripts and dashboards that assist the team with its troubleshooting, and monitoring, of live events and channels. Working with internal and external developments team to ensure the products we maintain the have the functionality that our workflows require. You will also be a leader and teach to the larger team, providing tutorials on highly technical concepts as well as and writing up internal documentation related to workflow design and standard operating purposes. Department leads will also look to you to provide ideas on workflow & implementation optimizations, new tooling as well as monitoring dashboards. This position requires a highly skilled individual with strong technical and analytic skills.
• Expert in Linux, Mac and Windows environments
• Advanced Linux BASH scripting experience
• Knowledge of video codecs and compression, specifically H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC
• Ability to perform advanced troubleshooting with MPEG-2 broadcast transport streams
• Experience capturing and troubleshooting with PCAPs (Via Wireshark of tcpdump) from a networking/packet delivery perspective.
• Good understanding of ABR streaming, specifically HLS
• Comfortable modifying and contributing to xml/json schema
• Advanced Knowledge of video fundamentals
• Experience with open source encoding software such as FFMPEG or GStreamer
• Experience working with media encoding platforms
• Comfortable acting as a technical lead to other departments to address and resolve problems
• Comfortable working with DSS staff around the country.
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of at least one programming/scripting language, Python preferred
• Knowledge of the ANSI/SCTE 35 specification preferred.
• Strong multi-tasking abilities.
• Strong communication skills
• BA/BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.